pressure washer - recommendations please

Castlecroft

After having two karcher pressure washers (the first lasting less than 2 years - the second and most recent lasting just 6 weeks !!!) - i need a new pressure washer ...

what recommendations are there for a different brand as a replacement  - used for general cleaning - car / trailer / patio --- nothing too lavish - or too expensive..

I recently bought a Hozelock model after my ancient Powerbase (cheap Chinese Homebase effort) died finally. It uses less water and has an automatic motor cut-off when you release the trigger. This is probably a standard feature of 'better' machines, but it's new to me. It was £79.99 from Amazon. A nice point is that all the bits stow on board so you can just carry it about in total. As to longevity... 

Another switch to Nilfisk after Karchers failing on me too many times, I’ve also had a number of things from the Cleanstore, linked to above, now, including the Nilfisk and wet/dry Hoover’s etc. they’ve been very good to deal with.

• Like 1

I really like the one I got from Lidl.  But you have to wait for them to be in store...

What you lot been doing to them Karcher washer. I have one for 5 years and been reliable to date, in fact used it last weekend. I always drain it down before storing away for winter.

Always wondered why you get absolutely soaked wet through after 5 minutes use?

It's a common design issue with many of the Karchers. And yes, I too drained them, wouldn't use them if frost was a possibility and even removed the hoses, but all that did was change them from blowing  hose seals and o rings, to doing the same for pumps.

While Karcher might have a high failure rate across many models, they also sell vast numbers, so of course there will be thousands out there that are fine - be glad you're amongst them!

Thanks for all the recommendations...

decided to go for a nilfisk C120... from Amazon (£35 cheaper than cleanstore - and yes I have checked that it is the same product..)

re “what have I been doing to the karcher’s”... always stored them dry over winter.. and kept in the shed at all times...but the last one only managed 6 weeks, motor burn out after 2 minutes when using it for the second time !!  phoned karcher to report, and being fair they offered a replacement to be couriered out with the old one being picked up... but I ask you, failing after 6 weeks does not build confidence in a replacement.

i think there is probably a big difference in build quality between the “home use” karcher units and the “professional units”..

either way time to try another brand....

Similar to dave, went through 3 karchers in less time than I've had the one nilfisk. Always drained and my garage is heated so no frost damage.

My Mrs works for a diy store and they get shed loads more karchers returned now than they did 10 years ago.

Perhaps Karcher have gone down the same road as Dremel: drop the price (and consequently the quality) and take the flak?

• Like 1

If your looking at Nilfisk try purchase one from the E range - These have much better pumps. I have the E 145 this is currently £260 on amazon. If your prepared to spend a little more buy a Kranzle washer.

I bought a VAX a few years back. I did have one small issue with it - can't quite recall what it was now other than it was totally dead one day. I took it apart and found some simple issue that was easily fixed.

I did a solid 8 hour session cleaning patio and driveway one time - didn't miss a beat. And by solid, I mean I didn't even stop for a wee - incredible given all that water everywhere :)

Blimey I wish I could go three hours without a wee, let alone eight!

• Haha 1