Hi-spec Caliper alignment page2

Skypeller

Anybody know what pads would improve the braking from my ap front brakes?

They are, I read somewhere, the same as land rover discovery rear brake calipers. Therefore I doubt there’s much choice in racing or fastroad pads- so maybe just some new mintex or ebc pads might make a difference.

Everything appears to be in good condition just wouldn’t mind a bit of extra bite for that added confidence - before I go ahead with the Westfield HS front pair of calipers. I assume these can be plumbed straight up to the standard master/reservoir brake hoses? 

A bit more Info on your current setup would be good?  Also braking is quite subjective. So it's difficult, everyone will probably recommend the pad they are running.  

Westfield's are not servo'd so a decent prod of the pedal is always going to be required...a good bleed with decent fluid never hurt no one though.

Why are you swapping AP's for hi spec?

I run mintex 1144. Have drums on the rear. Pretty happy lots of peeps use these. 

We are using mintex 1144s on the front with standard pads on the rear. Westfield/Hispec ultralights on the sigma, M16s on the crossflow. Changing to 1144 pads has improved the feel of breaking in both cars, but they squeal in the Westfield calipers at pottering speed in traffic.

Gary

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SXRORY said:

A bit more Info on your current setup would be good?  Also braking is quite subjective. So it's difficult, everyone will probably recommend the pad they are running.  

Westfield's are not servo'd so a decent prod of the pedal is always going to be required...a good bleed with decent fluid never hurt no one though.

Why are you swapping AP's for hi spec?

I run mintex 1144. Have drums on the rear. Pretty happy lots of peeps use these. 

@Skypeller sorry to jump into your thread but wanted to ask @SXRORY what Drum Shoes he is using as I have drums on rear and wondered if there were any 'performance' variants?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CeeBee said:

@Skypeller sorry to jump into your thread but wanted to ask @SXRORY what Drum Shoes he is using as I have drums on rear and wondered if there were any 'performance' variants?

Sorry bud. I don't know they were on the car when I bought it. They look like the original ones that where on since the build so I don't think they do too much of the braking. Just added stability I would of thought. I would just go for a decent brand I think. 

@SXRORY

hi, the ap’s arent ap racing variants they’re just some landover discovery 2/defender rear calipers so as you can imagine nobody has made any pads specifically for racing cars or sprint cars, and pad compounds are all biased for the 2+ ton trucks the calipers were used for. They were apparently used by Westfield to supply in the kits after about 2005/6 when m16s became harder to come by, although I’m not entirely sure if that’s true, just from reading threads from others who’ve found similar issues. From what I understand my front calipers aren’t that common i get the impression people said no thanks and ticked the box for the hispec options when ordering their kits.

My rear setup is Sierra diff, so- independent, alloy rear hub/uprights with golf mk4 gti calipers the pads in those are tarox and therefore probably ok, definitely not a problem getting satisfactory pads for those. I’ve had a fair few golf mk4s; turbo gti’s (150&180), v6 4motion etc and always found the brakes more than adequate although not relevant here.

In a way it’s a shame because the calipers maybe fine but the pads on the market for them probably aren’t!  

^ Wot Skypeller said. The calipers in question were Westfield’s first stab at a replacement for M16’s as supplies suitable for building wholly new cars (for year plates) started to dry up. While they did what they did well enough, they didn’t seem to be terribly successful, I guess the limited choice of suitable pads really didn’t help their cause. In the end the factory just switched to using the Hi Specs with a huge choice of great pads and compounds.

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Dave, do you know if my standard reservoir/cylinder would match up to the hi specs ultralites ok? I’ve no reason to assume that they won’t. Just thought I’d ask around before fitting them - ive had the chance of some new unused ones from A forum number and 25% less than Westfield are asking. 

If it’s the old standard MC, yes, should be OK. A lot still proffered to swap over to the AP racing MC, but I used to have the standard type with Ultralites and Sierra rear calipers, and it worked OK.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I might swap to an ap cyl soon, i’ll Use that one for now, who knows, it’s not even deep winter yet and I’m already blowing the wonga :db-westy:???

• Haha 2

Thanks @SXRORY yes that was going to be my default using 'Mintex' or similar as I get used them.

Good move. I don't honestly think you must have the ap cylinder. I use the standard master cylinder and installed a bias valve on the front line to reduce the pressure and move the brake balance rearward. This suits my taste and allow a good range of adjustment for pads and taste. I use wilwood front and HI spec rears with bigger discs. It stops my seight absolutely fine with good feel and retardation. I ensured I cut the pushrod as tight as possible to reduce slack on initial application and they never made me want more.

They're not the same as servo,they are better! They have feel and progression, very much not vw audi :d 

• Like 2

When I built my Westfield in 2009 the kit came with discovery rears calipers on the front and gulf calipers on the rears. When I fitted the Hispec just bolted them on with out changing anything else and they work really well. I use the D'S 2500 Ferodo pads

• Thanks 1