Harness info

Sparkymart

Does anyone make a harness where the lap strap adjuster works backwards?

I'm feed up of spending 20 minutes adjusting my harness after the Mrs has been driving the Westy

I've got Willans 4 point harnesses but you need to pull the straps down towards the seat which is impossible so pull up adjuster's would be so much easier (or just don't let the Mrs drive the car :getmecoat:)

Hi Martin,

I got my Racelidz harnesses from Luke @Plays-Kool they have pull down shoulder straps and pull forward lap straps and are all 3".

3 minutes ago, TableLeg said:

Hi Martin,

I got my Racelidz harnesses from Luke @Plays-Kool they have pull down shoulder straps and pull forward lap straps and are all 3".

I've just been looking on the playskool website but I couldn't see any harnesses on there . Are they 4,5 or 6 point harnesses?

34 minutes ago, Martin Rice (Sparkymart) - Cornwall AO said:

I've just been looking on the playskool website but I couldn't see any harnesses on there . Are they 4,5 or 6 point harnesses?

I looked too but didn't see any. Might be worth calling Luke so see what he says.

Mine are 4 point but they also did the additional crotch attachment too. Good price as well.

If I remember correctly, Schroth harnesses can be ordered pull-up or pull-down...

11 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

If I remember correctly, Schroth harnesses can be ordered pull-up or pull-down...

Just been reading up on the Schroth harness and it looks like with the flexi belt system you can configure the lap belt any way you want 

The only thing you have to watch out for with pull up adjusters on the lap belts is having enough room in the car for them to work.

- it shifts the bulky part - the adjusters, down to your sides, closer to the floor and they become a fixed distance from the floor, so have to be positioned to allow for full forward and back seat travel. The danger is, in some seat positions, and with some seat designs, the fixed adjuster part, can get trapped between the drivers hips/side of the seat/side of the car.

If you do have room for them though, they are much easier to operate.

The Schroths, in pull down form at least - never used pull up versions, are very slick running when adjusting, I’ve never had another harness as easy to slacken off or tighten as them, so it sort of made up for not being pull up versions on my car, when I swapped to them.

I had a set of Luke 4-pt harnesses in my car with centre turn buckle and pull up adjustment on the lap belts (all 2 inch I think). I think I bought them about 4 or 5 years ago and may still be available.

2 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Schroth harnesses. Not cheap but fantastic quality.

I've also used these.

http://www.primamotorsport.com/prima_motorsport_products/kit_car/kit_car/4kit_car_harness.html

As they're made to order you can spec adjuster direction etc. Not as good as the schroths but also not as expensive.

Thanks for that link , there certainly is a big difference in price .

3 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

The only thing you have to watch out for with pull up adjusters on the lap belts is having enough room in the car for them to work.

Dave I was just wondering about that ,I've got the standard Westfield seats and they are tight against the sides of the car . After watching a couple of YouTube videos on them I dont think I would have room for the buckle's or the buckle's would be behind the seat so I wouldn't easily be able to slacken the belts

I had the Playskool pull up belts in the car when I drove to Stoneleigh the first year. The lap belts got trapped, and in the first hundepred miles of use, big scratches were founded into the interior side panels, and a 10 p sized hole, (that cost me a seat recover to fix) was torn into the brand new Sport Turbo seat.

No interior side panels, or a different seat, or any number of what if’s, and they’d have been fine - they were a great belt otherwise, just a bit bulky around the adjusters and buckles. Plenty use them with no issues. But it can happen.

Just purchased new Schroth belts using the flexi system from MSA. Tell you what the quality is outstanding and the guys down there know there stuff.

The lap belts can be configured at pull down or pull up and like Dave says the adjustments are very easy. They use either LV4 or LV10 I think so the adjuster can be positioned anywhere you want it. The shoulder straps also use LV10 behind your head so again the adjuster can be where you want it. Both are 2 inch which when you have the tubo seat and it passes through the seat and don't cut into your neck. They also come with crotch straps but not using them at the moment.

I am waiting for MSA to send me a new set of lap belts as the ones I have are a fraction short but they should be in the post hopefully next week. So the measuring and hard work has been done should you want any.

By the way you may need a second mortgage?

... and remember kids, always adjust the lap belts nice and snug first, then the chest belts. You need the lap belts snug against the hips, and if you like a beer or two, below the gut not on top or above it. I see so many with the lap belts riding high. With the legs out straight driving position of Westfields, in a front impact accident they'd slip forward under the belt and cram into the footwell.

• Thanks 1

@Terryathome how do you intend to use yours ,pull up or pull down? I like the way you can set them up as you need them 

I wouldn't have an issue with pull down adjuster's if you could easily adjust them .My current Willans harnesses are a PITA as I need to feed the strap through the buckle to make them smaller an d just can't pull them tight 

Btw I've made an appointment with my mortgage advisor...!