MSA Roll Bar and Removable Steering Wheel Fitted

Dave Licence

So I've owned the car less than a month and upgraditis has started already...

MSA roll bar was first up, not a job I would like to do again! Certainly it would seem to be simpler if fitting as part of a full build so you could assemble before the body is fitted to make an accurate jig. Anyway, you work with what you've got! A slight frustration was that the rear tub is fitted with a different gap on the off side and this resulted in having to cut into the boot box area, but it all gets covered up nicely so no great issue other than messing with my head when I was trying to measure up! The other issue being that whilst you can measure all day long you cannot predict exactly the angle the bar will finally bolt down onto the chassis... Luckily it all turned out pretty ok. Still to fit the grp covers.

Given this is my first time working with grp I’m quite pleased with results. There was a dire moment when first testing the bar position and it got stuck with one bolt plate over the body and one under - tolerances were a little too tight! Suffice to say holding that bar for myself for too long wasn’t going to happen so I had to give it a bit of abuse and luckily nothing snapped.  

And I've fitted a removable winter hand warmer, just need to get a furry knob to go with it now...

Anyway, a few pictures, including a shot of the two simple yet effective cardboard templates.

IMG_4768.jpg

IMG_4782.jpg

IMG_4783.jpg

IMG_4785.jpg

• Like 5

Nice job ,you can buy these from Carbon  NV  to cover the holes finishes it off a treat .

5040FE9D-6BE0-4ECE-B6CE-EAB2CFF2AD10.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Weekend Warrior said:

Nice job ,you can buy these from Carbon  NV  to cover the holes finishes it off a treat .

5040FE9D-6BE0-4ECE-B6CE-EAB2CFF2AD10.png

Thanks, I have some grp in white, but perhaps these in cf would actually fit together nicely...!?

Test aligning them earlier did show a slight snag in that my long legs necessitate the seat being fully back so the front ‘lip’ of the covers won’t fit over the rear tub return without fouling the seat. Looks like I will have to get handy with the saw/file/luck again, trim the lip and mount the covers slightly rearward; then get funky with the sealant

17 hours ago, HappyDave said:

So I've owned the car less than a month and upgraditis has started already...

MSA roll bar was first up, not a job I would like to do again! Certainly it would seem to be simpler if fitting as part of a full build so you could assemble before the body is fitted to make an accurate jig. Anyway, you work with what you've got! A slight frustration was that the rear tub is fitted with a different gap on the off side and this resulted in having to cut into the boot box area, but it all gets covered up nicely so no great issue other than messing with my head when I was trying to measure up! The other issue being that whilst you can measure all day long you cannot predict exactly the angle the bar will finally bolt down onto the chassis... Luckily it all turned out pretty ok. Still to fit the grp covers.

Given this is my first time working with grp I’m quite pleased with results. There was a dire moment when first testing the bar position and it got stuck with one bolt plate over the body and one under - tolerances were a little too tight! Suffice to say holding that bar for myself for too long wasn’t going to happen so I had to give it a bit of abuse and luckily nothing snapped.  

And I've fitted a removable winter hand warmer, just need to get a furry knob to go with it now...

Anyway, a few pictures, including a shot of the two simple yet effective cardboard templates.

IMG_4768.jpg

IMG_4782.jpg

IMG_4783.jpg

IMG_4785.jpg

Is the wheel from Westfield?

4 hours ago, Jon Parker said:

Is the wheel from Westfield?

Indeed it is Jon and it’s a much better shape and feel than the standard version. Same diameter though. I got the removable boss complete with steering column as well. You have to mark and drill the wheel to fit it to the boss. 

Just need a nice bag for the wheel now....

2 hours ago, HappyDave said:

Indeed it is Jon and it’s a much better shape and feel than the standard version. Same diameter though. I got the removable boss complete with steering column as well. You have to mark and drill the wheel to fit it to the boss. 

Just need a nice bag for the wheel now....

Thanks just can’t decide on suede or leather!!!!