Directional tyre query

Nic Surry

Hi what is the outcome if using direction tyres in the wrong direction as most tracks are clockwise mine are wearing on the outer edge on one side could do with swapping side to level out the wear,Any thoughts/ experience with this?

Depends on the tyre but it can be done. Best speak direct to the tyre manufacturer and see if there's any specific reason they wouldn't recommend it. As you're talking about track use I'd assume water clearing isn't an issue?

1 minute ago, BCF said:

Depends on the tyre but it can be done. Best speak direct to the tyre manufacturer and see if there's any specific reason they wouldn't recommend it. As you're talking about track use I'd assume water clearing isn't an issue?

agreed - AR1s can def run in either direction. 

I know for sure a lot of Caterhams a few years back used to run AO48s backwards on the front axle in one of their race series. (In the dry) Not sure what tyres they're using now.

The tyre itself has nothing in the construction that prevents it from being run 'backwards', except for the tread pattern as has been said (but only in the wet).

If you are wearing tyres that unevenly I would suggest there is a setup issue somewhere. If you can post a well-lit and in focus photo of each tyre, I can tell you what changes are needed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve done this but only on a dry track, no difference in handling or grip at all.

Is way better take the tyre out an place it in the other wheel, same direction... is the best wy to ectend the life of them...

But i agree... in  so light car, wear shoul be really even, and geo check is needed...

On 28/09/2018 at 10:33, AdamR said:

The tyre itself has nothing in the construction that prevents it from being run 'backwards', except for the tread pattern as has been said (but only in the wet).

If you are wearing tyres that unevenly I would suggest there is a setup issue somewhere. If you can post a well-lit and in focus photo of each tyre, I can tell you what changes are needed.

50FC15B8-06A5-4719-B453-532FDDBA43FA.thumb.jpeg.a83bacc3cfe2664fe8ead1d5f89426b0.jpegCA311EFA-CA41-482A-85A4-6A5496A5AA4C.thumb.jpeg.e2b1d783d2dc7bebd6eafa9d1ec830d0.jpegThese are the Near side tyres from doing   llandow in a clockwise direction the off side tyres showed a lot less wear my thoughts was to swap sides and try to even the wear

1 minute ago, AdamR said:

Can't really see any wear there... was it raining?

It was only about an hour of a dry track  probably about 40 laps but its a short track