Peak District Autumn Action, Sun 7th Oct

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

I every one hoping its a dry day Sunday to test our new car out and may join you if you get to lady bower area 

had a chat to Dave east wood  this afternoon about my car and if I can get to meet you all will be great and get advice

I am a little uneasy about doing a too long run for first time out ie going down to matlock .

so I was wondering if I could meet you for dinner up near our end lady bower was mentioned but if you do not get up to that area let me know and I will have a test run up to Sherburn  café please let me know aprox times and where you may be thanks john and jaky 

@4 WAK ... I'll be travelling to and from Wakefield on Sunday.

Assuming it's dry I'll be travelling to Matlock in the morning and probably leaving the group after dinner so I can get back before the light levels drop. You are more than welcome to join me on any parts of this journey so you have company in case there are any issues. 

Normally I go the back roads via Hemsworth & Rotherham in the morning to cut out some of the boring motorway. Depending on where the group eats dinner I tend to go back via Sheffield and then Rotherham to again miss the motorway ... but all of that is flexible and I'm more than happy to try different routes.

• Like 1

I mate thanks for that I live in great Houghton not far from the Hemsworth bypass

has you probably read its the first shake down on car be good to join someone else in case of problems on a run to meet people

please let me know of your route and times so I can probably ring you and may join you sometime tomorrow thanks john

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 4 WAK said:

I mate thanks for that I live in great Houghton not far from the Hemsworth bypass

has you probably read its the first shake down on car be good to join someone else in case of problems on a run to meet people

please let me know of your route and times so I can probably ring you and may join you sometime tomorrow thanks john

that ment ring you tomorrow before sunday thanks john

@4 WAK we will be leaving Matlock before 11am, getting to Ladybower approx midday (toilet stop on the way as none at Ladybower), take some photos and enjoy the views for a  short while. We will be having lunch at The Travellers Rest, Bradwell, S33 9HG, which is only a 10 minute drive from Ladybower, I expect to be there for about 1pm. I have booked a table for 20 people. The Sunday lunch is £8.95 or there is the main menu to choose from too.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

@4 WAK we will be leaving Matlock before 11am, getting to Ladybower approx midday (toilet stop on the way as none at Ladybower), take some photos and enjoy the views for a  short while. We will be having lunch at The Travellers Rest, Bradwell, S33 9HG, which is only a 10 minute drive from Ladybower, I expect to be there for about 1pm. I have booked a table for 20 people. The Sunday lunch is £8.95 or there is the main menu to choose from too.

hope to meet you there jak is in Blackpool so will be on my own unless India comes and  Andy r   joins on way down thanks john

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 4 WAK said:

Hi John. I used to live in Hemsworth and we were going to buy a house in Great Houghton so I know it well. The route I take goes from Crofton to Nostell, through Hemsworth and Great Houghton (despite all those horrible speed bumps!), turn off at RSPB Dearne Valley and then follow the smaller roads to Rotherham, past the football ground and end up hitting the M1 just by the Sheffield Parkway. I then come off at J29A (to limit motorway miles) and get to Matlock via Chesterfield. There is a fuel stop the Matlock side of Chesterfield which gives me enough for the run around the Peaks. The route from mine takes 1.5 hours ... I'll be leaving mine at 08:45 so would be in Great Houghton just gone 09:00. I'm not a fast driver and keep to a steady pace (you might find me a bit boring in that respect :d) ... which is why I like the Peak District runs as they aren't all about racing to the next destination. My route back from the Travellers Rest would probably be to go via Sheffield, hit the Parkway and follow the same way back home ... although I'm open to suggestions if you want to do something different / longer / more interesting?

I've got your PM and will shortly send you my number. Feel free to text/call so we can arrange a suitable time to meet up. If you want to modify the route then let me know ... I'm happy to make it more interesting and take in more of the Northern parts of the Peak District although I suspect as it's the first shake down you want to keep it simple?

• Like 1

Brilliant Andy, so glad to see John can have some travelling company; we tend to forget what those first few voyages in a new, or new to us car are like, so there’s lots of peace of mind knowing you’re not on your todsky in the middle of know where should teething trouble strike. (Of course, they rarely ever do strike, but it takes a few runs out to get used to things and to get that confidence).

22 hours ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

hope to meet you there jak is in Blackpool so will be on my own unless India comes and  Andy r   joins on way down thanks john

getting very child like excited and anticipation for the car to work well tomorrow

don't fancy a 4 hr wait for breakdown company to get home if it all goes south 

it looks now a good day  tomorrow,  the rain this morning and last night was proper bad at Lincolnshire where I stopped  has a sad person with my dog all alone

hope to meet you all tomorrow and Glyn to share sum banter has I only see him every time    Pluto and mars are in front of the earth thanks john