Planet Earth, our planet.

John Dolan - Wirral & North Wales AO

The answer is obvious.

More tax, isn't this the answer to everything?

On a related note, just think how annoying it would be if they wasted this money they take from us!

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Rusty Nuts said:

If we can't sustain life here on this planet given the ideal conditions, what chance have we on another planet?

What you have to remember those who will be chosen to go will not be caravan dwellers or other low lives who will crap on their own doorstep. So just maybe the lessons learnt from here will be a good start.

17 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

What you have to remember those who will be chosen to go will not be caravan dwellers or other low lives who will crap on their own doorstep. So just maybe the lessons learnt from here will be a good start.

If only the altruistic get to go then maybe a better world could result .

Alternatively those who have the funds to finance the trip could be the billionaires who've trodden over all and sundry and whose penthouses are well away from the mess below.

5 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

If only the altruistic get to go then maybe a better world could result .

Alternatively those who have the funds to finance the trip could be the billionaires who've trodden over all and sundry and whose penthouses are well away from the mess below.

Exactly we're not in the state we are in due to the lazy have nots but due more to the greedy grab all's. I give you prime example Mr Donald John Trump.

16 minutes ago, Rusty Nuts said:

Exactly we're not in the state we are in due to the lazy have nots but due more to the greedy grab all's. I give you prime example Mr Donald John Trump.

I cannot see how that is case. We are in the state we are due to population and the exploitation of resources and we in the Western economies drive that. Do we need Westfields, no but we have them so hardly in a position to talk about waste of resources.

The rich have their problems but the vast majority are pretty normal, Trump is not, but people like Bill Gates are the opposite. But back on track, to colonise space it will be the best brains and those who have the right stuff. I cannot see that many who are rich having the skills to survive. It is possible that many rich will go up in a craft for a joy ride, but to live and work in a hostile environment not a chance

Rich as colonists, pull the other one :laugh: though ironically, if they did get positions on the second wave so to speak, after the initial pioneer groups. Then they’d surely need to be taking large numbers of “ordinary” folk to act as staff for them! 

18 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

We are in the state we are due to population and the exploitation of resources and we in the Western economies drive that. Do we need Westfields, no but we have them so hardly in a position to talk about waste of resources.

With the average tin top car lifespan being about 8 years and a Westie probably about 3 times that it could be argued we're being frugal but only if you then cycle to work etc and avoid the tin top.

You're right about population Jeff and yet politicians won't go near the subject although pressure on resources is now making many countries look closely at immigration as roads, schools, hospitals, housing etc come under extreme pressure.

On 05/10/2018 at 12:54, DonPeffers said:

With the average tin top car lifespan being about 8 years and a Westie probably about 3 times that it could be argued we're being fruga

Less metal, recycled parts and limited mileage. Westfields are greener than a Prius over their respective lifetims, I'll wager.

• Thanks 1

I'm no Greenpeace warrior but when I went to a remote beach on an island in the Philippines and see the remnants of a Tesco carrier bag floating in the surf, it made me think of why we need so much plastic in this world.

The 5p levy/tax of bags has certainly made a difference, in this country anyway.

12 hours ago, SootySport said:

I'm no Greenpeace warrior but when I went to a remote beach on an island in the Philippines and see the remnants of a Tesco carrier bag floating in the surf, it made me think of why we need so much plastic in this world.

The 5p levy/tax of bags has certainly made a difference, in this country anyway.

History is littered (no pun intended) with things that at the time were seen as a good thing but in hindsight were not. Asbestos in lagging and buildings killed people but at the time it was a wonder material. 

Same with plastic, great idea but with hindsight rally bad overall and no one cannot be appalled by the sight of plastic in the oceans and rivers, but we can do something about it but as always it is at a cost.

We use reusable bags and as they wear out are using hessian ones, they cost more but housewives in the past never had anything but proper shopping baskets and bags that lasted years.

The biggest issue is how we deal with waste. Eu rules on landfill tax has meant we in the west export our rubbish and then are shocked to see it simply tipped into the sea at the other side of the world. We need to start having more incinerators and use the heat to create power and then the ash goes to landfill as it is inert by then and with carbon capture technology better than the alternatives.

Reduce our consumption of all goods and push suppliers to use alternatives.For example our magazine comes in a plastic bag, my wife's WI magazine is a clear bag made out of potato starch that is 100% biodegradable. We have the technology to reverse many of the issues, so long as we the consumer is prepared to pay or to alter our ways which may be a little more inconvenient and those who deliberately pollute are held to account.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1