Planet Earth, our planet.

John Dolan - Wirral & North Wales AO

Our planet is wonderful. It provides everything we need, water, air, warmth, companionship, petrol.

Should we worry about the future, climate change, nuclear war, natural phenomenon, Brexit?

10,000 years ago this country was in an ice age, and what did we do about it? Nothing. What could we have done about it? Nothing. What can we do to prevent the next episode in our climate?

The truth is, not much actually. We might think we are green, charging for plastic bags, congestion charges, cycling, recycling. Even though we have made an absolute mess of our environment, it will have little effect on the future of our little blue dot.

And your choices are:- do I buy a swim suit or a thermally heated suit?

Don't even think about an LP.

What's to become of us all , that's what I want to know  

So far we've had to suffer Sharknado and Stonado  

How do we stop Roastspudado  :t-up:

The end is nigh :cry::cry::cry:

Image result for stonados

Over 99% of all species ever to have lived have died out (link) I feel we as humans, we are accelerating our little time on the planet, the cause of which are numerous but our greed being the greatest.

• Like 3

Indeed, in the long term, we will just be a footnote in the history of the planet and solar system. Let's not even consider the universe as a whole...

What we should be feeling bad about is the mess we are making and how many innocent and helpless creatures we are killing off with our excesses. But that ain't going to happen I don't think. A few folk care and try to help, but the majority just don't give a stuff beyond where their next meal/fag/******* is coming from.

So, yep, we are indeed doomed. Human extinction can't come soon enough for my liking.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, corsechris said:

So, yep, we are indeed doomed. Human extinction can't come soon enough for my liking.

But I've just got my car on the road!

Don't forget the ingenuity of mankind, and remember Bruce Willis in Armageddon 

The next generation will find a way.

image.png

• Haha 2

its ok according to the BBC there MIGHT be a habitable planet 10billion light years away! so we can all live there!

erm.... so

If we could travel at the speed of light (which we can't) it would still take longer than the history of the earth to get there.

we are saved!!!!! 

12 hours ago, RICHARD+PHILIP said:

its ok according to the BBC there MIGHT be a habitable planet 10billion light years away! so we can all live there!

erm.... so

If we could travel at the speed of light (which we can't) it would still take longer than the history of the earth to get there.

we are saved!!!!! 

There will be habitable planets much closer than that. There are likely to be many thousands of planets in our own galaxy that are just as habitable as good ole Earth. Strictly speaking they are orders of magnitude nearer than the suggested 10 billion light years but practically speaking they are just as unreachable to us right now. Not forgetting of course that a habitable planet discovered at a distance of 10 billion light years could well have disappeared 5 billion years ago. We'll never know...

[/pedantry] 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Blatman said:

Not forgetting of course that a habitable planet discovered at a distance of 10 billion light years could well have disappeared 5 billion years ago. We'll never know...

We’ll know when we get there.

Earth’s habitable conditions have limited boundaries. Water is essential, a precise mix of atmosphere is essential. I still find gravity unexplainable (please don’t try). A few miles closer to the sun and we would fry, a few miles further away and it would be too cold for human life. They say we could adapt, but who would want to live in a greenhouse, with pictures of sandy beaches and blue seas on the wall.

Colonise the moon or Mars? Don’t think the Westie would be much use there.

29 minutes ago, bollockybill said:

Colonise the moon or Mars? Don’t think the Westie would be much use there.

Not even with a V8 engine? :d

Given how many planets have been discovered to date, there are likely billions that could support life as we know it (Jim) in our galaxy alone, let alone all the others. Getting there might be troublesome though.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, corsechris said:

Getting there might be troublesome though.

Didn't I read somewhere that many are on the HS2 route?

Habitable plants can't be that far away , otherwise how do all the Aliens living amongst us get here :t-up:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, pistonbroke said:

Habitable plants can't be that far away , otherwise how do all the Aliens living amongst us get here :t-up:

Bu99er... rumbled...

If we can't sustain life here on this planet given the ideal conditions, what chance have we on another planet?

16 hours ago, Rusty Nuts said:

If we can't sustain life here on this planet given the ideal conditions, what chance have we on another planet?

Flash Gordon did OK , as far as I could tell :t-up: