Hood Trim Extrusion Broken

Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO

Hi All,

3 weeks into my new life as a Westy Owner I am perplexed by the hood fixing attachment onto the windscreen top frame?

Mine was broken in the middle when I bought the car and now when I reach the lofty heights of 60mph it starts to lift and fold into an apex which lets the air in and its up, up and almost away - i've had to reach out and hold it a few times already while I slow and find a suitable place to stop and refit from outside?

I had heard this was common to most Westy's due to the thin nature of the plastic extrusion and the cut out as highlighted?

image.png.b56f5bac66c33a242b0e7f252fff9bba.png

Does anyone know how to stop this 'lift' - I had heard of using a small wing nut to hold the trim in place?

Is there another supplier of the extrusions as £50.50 for something that will probably break AGAIN is steep.

I am in the meantime, enjoying the fresh air as much as possible and only resorting to hood when it truly chucks it down!

Many thanks

CeeBee

It is fragile, but breakage is just clumbsy operators! ;) Mine was fine until someone else tried to 'help' !

I have a small aly bolt in centre of windscreen with a rubber rivnut end as spacer to stop lift.

And have araldited an aly support to fragile area and added some cord loops to aid removal without breaking.

20180926_153651.thumb.jpg.fa900db9816bc409c24aadc80c3a75f0.jpg

A similar solution for me too. I made a profile from thin stainless sheet that sits snugly over the plastic part and has a suitable slot which engages with a very short square headed bolt that remains screwed into the nutsert in the frame.

The stainless profile helps to strengthen the weak point of the plastic where the slot is, although I did not glue it in place, it’s held pretty firmly by the vinyl of the roof.

The previous owner of my car made this neat little clip thar hooks over the screen  and the plastic top frame, to hold the hood down. 

1537987153384744598490936279913.jpg

Brilliant thanks guys, looks like it is hacksaw and hammer time this weekend! 

22 hours ago, CeeBee said:

Brilliant thanks guys, looks like it is hacksaw and hammer time this weekend! 

Caution Caution - Ex REME AEO attempting hands on fabrication - stand well clear and wear PPE...……

1 hour ago, jonjh1964 said:

Caution Caution - Ex REME AEO attempting hands on fabrication - stand well clear and wear PPE...……

Damn you JJ! Busted before I’ve even checked into A&E!