Ouch!

McFrancis

A BMW 1 series had a go at reshaping the front of my car this morning. Definitely needs a new nose, and the bonnet is also damaged where it was pushed back. 

Anyway it all going through the insurance so no problem there. I've been asked to either take it to a garage I know to get a quote or agree a cash in lieu. 

Has anybody had experience or this type of negotiation with an insurance/claims company, and do you have any advice? 

IMG_20180924_181740.jpg

No garage will be able to assess that better than Westfield themselves.  Unlike the BMW, your car is "bespoke"... 

Also look for the non cosmetic damage.  You would not want to miss a kink in the chassis’s. 

I see the O/P is in Scotland. Is there anyone in the motor trade who is much closer to McFrancis, who is also a Westfield enthusiast/expert who could have a look, and produce a quote? A new nose cone, and the stripes shouldn't be such a problem, for anyone who can get a new nose from the factory, and who can then do the spraying or the vinyl wrap (whichever it is), but they need to know what to look for in the chassis and suspension.

Where is Martin Harvey, who did a lovely spray job for Gary's pre-lit build very recently? Isn't he up north? 

Playskool is probably rather closer, if it needs damage assessing. Though even then, not exactly on the door step.

I know it all sounds very negative, but yes, you really do need to get it thoroughly inspected by someone with good knowledge and experience of Westy repairs. Even something as minor as a tweaked nose mounting bracket can give you grief down the line when it comes time to fit the new nose.

Hope you get it sorted soon and without too much grief. At least the summer is nearly over rather than just beginning so the pressure is off a bit to get it fixed.

Agreed. Those nosecones are very strong. Don't ask me how I know.:blush:

For it to fail like that, there is every possibility that sufficient load was transferred into the chassis to do damage, so get it checked properly. Fingers crossed it's OK, but it needs a proper check. If the third party insurers have to pay for it to be transported to Kingswinford, too bad.

FG can be very tough stuff. Used to have a Marcos Mantula Spyder and in an incident never to be forgotten when a wind up is required, the missus backed the Capri into it. Bent the bumper and dumb-bar on the Capri. Chipped about 1/4" off the outer edge of the Marcos boot lip......  FG 1: Dagenham Steel 0

14 hours ago, garytipping said:

Hi Stephen,

@Marto303 is in Milton Keynes.

Ah, a very long way from Scotland then!

McFrancis, Playskool may be your nearest place to go.

How about these guys?  not too far away (75 Miles)  At least they have a link to the kit industry.

https://www.crosshillgarage.co.uk/luego

Hope you get it fixed easily and at no cost to you.

Kenton

Thank you to everyone for the advice and contacts I'll take these forwards and hopefully be back on the road soon. :purple-westy:

• Like 1