It's about time...

nice_guy

9 hours ago, nice_guy said:

Thanks  !

I've seen this one, and this led to "So where can I source flared wings ?"

It turned out rather frustratingly fruitless : can anyone recommend a reliable source, beside secondhand ?

Thanks a lot !

Westfield themselves are listing some long clamshell wings on eBay just now or a wanted ad on here could produce a set 

I painted mine in etch primer followed by 2 pack and underseal to cushion the road debris

53 minutes ago, garytipping said:

If you get over your fear of aluminium, here's a picture with the windscreen and bench seats!

Drooling over the keyboard.

Here is my Westy, this is a early post lit (1990) 1650 crossflow. Only owned for 2 week and love it!

Westfield Image 14.09 (3).jpg

Westfield Image 14.09 (4).jpg

• Like 5

On 25/09/2018 at 19:11, Gary Taylor - Scotland AO said:

Westfield themselves are listing some long clamshell wings on eBay just now or a wanted ad on here could produce a set 

I painted mine in etch primer followed by 2 pack and underseal to cushion the road debris

I missed that one...

I suspect sanding might be part of the process given condition. I Looked for the flared wing on ebay, and two things appeared to me.

• Usually they come by two (a master, and an apprentice...) there's only one listed...
    • On the upside price & shipping is waaaaaaaaaay less than what I feafor an ironing board sized parcel.

I don't know if the brackets that have been hacked off can be sourced, but it seems to be within "hammering a piece of steel" metalworks and a quick weld

9 minutes ago, nice_guy said:

I missed that one...

I suspect sanding might be part of the process given condition. I Looked for the flared wing on ebay, and two things appeared to me.

• Usually they come by two (a master, and an apprentice...) there's only one listed...
    • On the upside price & shipping is waaaaaaaaaay less than what I feafor an ironing board sized parcel.

I don't know if the brackets that have been hacked off can be sourced, but it seems to be within "hammering a piece of steel" metalworks and a quick weld

From what I understand although Westfield don’t list them they can supply the clamshells and the proper brackets, might be worth a quick call to enquire and ask for prices / lead times 

2 hours ago, Gary Taylor - Scotland AO said:

Hi don’t know your location but here’s a pair of clamshells primed on eBay 

item 132798057291

Nice_guy I believe is in France 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gary Taylor - Scotland AO said:

Hi don’t know your location but here’s a pair of clamshells primed on eBay 

item 132798057291

Interesting...

3 hours ago, CL290005 said:

Nice_guy I believe is in France 

Yup. And shipping stings.

I'll fire some alerts on ebay,  get the hang of what would be the costs should I have to get a car to the needed oldtimer appearance...

Sevenesque cars are like lego parts : once you start looking for one, it knows it and hides so you'll never find it....

That calls for this question : What websites would you recommend for classifieds ? 

I currently scan too-many-times-a-day : wscc, ebay, autotrader, pistonheads, gumtree, carandclassic and carsnip.

I wouldn't want to leave a stone unturned, am I missing anything of interest ?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been searching the classifieds for a while (and patience is not my forte), and for the first time something interesting (but not maching the essential 30 years old threshold)  popped up :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfield-SE-Kitcar/142980679286?hash=item214a500676:g:VGcAAOSwlINbybXE:rk:2:pf:0

An empty shell. No registration to this one, alas, so it won't work but I wonder if there is a marketplace for empty (engine-less) or cat C / D westies ?

Might expand the realm of the things I have to look for, and may be a good way to get, let's say a 1990 or 1991 shell, planning it'll take me one to two years to get it running...

• 2 months later...

Finally.

I now am blessed with the ownership of an early narrow SEi, largely thanks to this forum.

Obviously, tinkering fever started with no delay. Staring first with the parts that I wish/need to replace.

I'm going against the march of progress, going for a respectable granny appearance, hence maybe the parts I seek clutter many a garage / workshop, having been replaced by more modern contraptions.

@Great_Forum_Overlord, what would be the way to go ? Start a thread with all my needs in parts wanted ? Or start a new topic for each part ? (2 or 3 at the time being, but haven't removed anything but the hood yet)

• Like 2

Well done and congratulations on getting her but pictures are mandatory......

i wiuld put put up a wanted ad as you need parts as too many in one as would get confusing 

24 minutes ago, Gary Taylor - Scotland AO said:

Well done and congratulations on getting her but pictures are mandatory......

Well, I have none half decent enough to reach the forum, but I'm going to do some before I scratch the spanner itch and put everything that looks unscrewable in a dozen plastic food containers...

(truth is, I have a single blurry shot, at night, hood half fit. She looks like a  not so respectable granny that has severe issues with a dress)

(but have multiple close ups of thermostat housing...)

24 minutes ago, Gary Taylor - Scotland AO said:

i wiuld put put up a wanted ad as you need parts as too many in one as would get confusing 

Let's go carpet bombing !

Thanks a lot !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nice_guy said:

@Great_Forum_Overlord, what would be the way to go ? Start a thread with all my needs in parts wanted ? Or start a new topic for each part ? (2 or 3 at the time being, but haven't removed anything but the hood yet)

Not quite an overlord - but I’ll answer :d

post wanted ads as you need - and start a thread telling us about your progress :yes:

• Like 2