It's about time...

nice_guy

Hello...

I've been thinking about owning a Westfield.

I've been thinking for years.

It's about time.

So here seems the right place to start.

• 40-ish, 6' tall, 12 stones 
  • very poor sense of humor
  • some oily bits tinkering habits

Yet to find the right car...

:ww: and you're right, not a bad place to start.

Next stop should be your local area meet, to chat to owners about the merits of the various options.

Are you in Paris?!

Good luck.

Welcome and yes your in the right place, don’t rush in and as Kevin said try and get along to your local area and look try a few this will let you see first hand the difference in the various models

dont be afraid to ask questions we’re a friendly bunch and there’s a lot of knowledgeable folk on here to help if required 

good luck with your search, here starts an adventure 

Thanks a lot !

I've been watching around, chatting with owners, having a close, close look at cars, construction, build logs... and I'm pretty sure of what I want.

(I'll post it in the wanted cars section first !)

33 minutes ago, nice_guy said:

(I'll post it in the wanted cars section first !)

...or maybe not, it might be a good thing to discuss the matter here before.

I'm looking for a prelit / early SE.

What I would Really, Really want :

• Flared / Clamshell wings, windshield obviously.
  • Pushrod engine (well, crossflow or period-related powertrain).
  • Big analog clocks. Lots of.
  • Twin carbs.
  • Running.
  • Old.

What would be nice to have but might be pushing it too far.

• Green or any dark color would be nice.
  • Minilite-looking or steel rims.
  • 5 speed gearbox.
  • Benchy flatty seats.
  • Sidescreens and wet weather gear (but maybe sourcing / making should not be that hard).
  • For a weird reason I crave the bulge shaped front turn signal mounting posts, on the nosecone, like on this picture.
  • Diagonal belts (pushing it too far, I know).
  • No holes for letting air filters through.

Maybe the best (even if terribly wrong) words to describe what i'm looking for would be a stock, vintage Westfield. Like an old seven but with no alloy panelling. Even writing it seems wrong.

Some of these things I can change with ease, some less so.

• Like 6

My last car, narrow body, minilite style wheels and a 1700 crossflow, proper old school. Photo taken at south west lotus centre open day.

12065502_768739743271438_640968490497808382_n.jpg

3 hours ago, hammie said:

Thanks  !

I've seen this one, and this led to "So where can I source flared wings ?"

It turned out rather frustratingly fruitless : can anyone recommend a reliable source, beside secondhand ?

Thanks a lot !

The best Pre Lit that almost fits all your requirements is Gary Tippings Pre Lit, everything is for sale at the right price 

1 hour ago, CL290005 said:

The best Pre Lit that almost fits all your requirements is Gary Tippings Pre Lit, everything is for sale at the right price 

I've read (and drooled over) his build log, love the rear lights and the steelies, the chassis color, greaaaaat build log.

But I Really, Really, Really do not want aluminium alloy body parts (for a lot of irrational reasons, I have alloy panel post traumatic syndrome).

(I might have seen uncommon examples, but I remember cars advertised as prelit, painted sides and a glassfiber bonnet.)

Welcome.

Yeah, my memory might be playing tricks on me, but I remember the aluminium panels (towards the end of the pre lots, at least), being an option, or it might be the other way round, with GRP an option. But I. Sure I remember GRP bodied pre list being advertised.. whether that was GRP nose, wings, bonnet and scuttle, with aluminium painted tub, I couldn’t say for sure, but I thought they were all GRP.

7 hours ago, nice_guy said:

I've read (and drooled over) his build log, love the rear lights and the steelies, the chassis color, greaaaaat build log.

But I Really, Really, Really do not want aluminium alloy body parts (for a lot of irrational reasons, I have alloy panel post traumatic syndrome).

(I might have seen uncommon examples, but I remember cars advertised as prelit, painted sides and a glassfiber bonnet.)

If you get over your fear of aluminium, here's a picture with the windscreen and bench seats!IMG_2663.thumb.JPG.bd24ffce469f4fd2c8c91d52d22102ab.JPG

• Like 1