Quick Release Wheel Conversion

Brad Stone

Afternoon all, 

I have decided I would like to put a removable Steering wheel on my westy, and would like some technical assistance on how I would go about this. 

I have attached some current pictures of my setup. 

Any help with a possible solution is massively appreciated. 

Brads

IMG_20180923_141143.jpg

IMG_20180923_141156.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Stone

• Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

• Exitus

• tc3nitro

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I also went with the go race and thought it was excellent. I went direct and at that time they offered a bit of discount to club members but think that stopped when they started supplying the factory.

I’ve got the same set up as Exitus. Love it, the OMP wheel is lovely to hold and 300mm is just right for me.  

So a bit of an update..  Have got the column out this morning, it's got a 48 spline (allegro) and is 720mm in length.  I have attached a picture for reference. Anything I need to bare in min

Posted Images

TableLeg

In simple terms you have 2 options.

1, Use a bolt on quick release hub with a wheel

2, Use a Weld On type of quick release stub, get it welded to your column and use the associated quick release hub.

I bought my column pre welded from here
http://go-race.co.uk/shop/4582749947/westfield-steering-column-quick-release-boss/10740708

Luke Playskool can weld on and supply the quick release hub and column stub.
http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/WorksBell.html

Sorry to ‘thread bomb’.   Which column is that you have.   Mines the same and i’ve Been wondering as my column bushes shot. 

• Like 1
Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

I got a complete column and qr from WF, was a bargain price at Stoneleigh!

https://parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=984&search=Quick+release&description=true

Alternatively Go Race supply one, same qr mechanism as WF supply with above column as posted above.

Just need to make sure your column is the same.

Thanks Chaps - Makes complete sense. 

I am unsure what my existing column is - I will have a look this weekend. 

Are their any defining features I should be looking out for? Number of splines etc perhaps or will it be clearly marked? 

Are there any pros / cons to going welded over bolt on?

The go race and bell options look absolutely spot on - Can anybody recommend a wheel? I'm currently running a 320mm and it's slightly too big - I'm thinking perhaps a 280 or 300 would be a better option - MOMO team? Thoughts??!

-B

I really recommend the go-race system. Incredibly easy to fit, and really high quality. We've done 1000 miles with it now, and we're very happy.

For a wheel, we went with the OMP trecento in leather, which is 300mm. Again, lovely quality bit of kit that looks and feels great. I think that 300mm diameter is about right for the car. I definitely wouldn't want it any bigger!

On 30/04/2018 at 11:48, Exitus said:

In the meantime, upgrade-itus has kicked in already:

Shiny new steering wheel and quick release boss. Far better looking/feeling than the IVA wheel, and the quick release does make it easier to get in.

5ae6f32a8e77e_IMG_28911.thumb.JPG.3c9e0c9fe3bad4a40a907ced14a07dd2.JPG

2 hours ago, Exitus said:

I really recommend the go-race system. Incredibly easy to fit, and really high quality. We've done 1000 miles with it now, and we're very happy.

For a wheel, we went with the OMP trecento in leather, which is 300mm. Again, lovely quality bit of kit that looks and feels great. I think that 300mm diameter is about right for the car. I definitely wouldn't want it any bigger!

This looks lovely, do you happen to have any more pictures from some other angles ?

Can you see the AIM dash fully through the top ?

Regards

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Stand to be corrected, but believe the current column is an Alegro one, 48 splines. Sure somebody with more knowledge than me will confirm or correct my belief ;)

WF/Go Race qr and column, plus WF 300mm wheel. Works perfectly for me, ok for slow speed manouvering, and good view of Aim dash, behaved fine for over 2.5k miles.

Apologies for rubbish photo!

image.thumb.jpeg.788a200a3c0341b7531a2578f1357981.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tc3nitro said:

Can you see the AIM dash fully through the top ?

IMG_2872.thumb.JPG.3f689ed536c671aefc66717faa065bc8.JPG

This is the only other one I can find! I can see the AIM dash pretty well - much better then the IVA wheel, as the top section of the wheel is actually larger. Dad, who is 6 foot 6, can't see the shift lights, but can see the rest. Overall a good wheel.

We're quite lucky in that we have a company 10 minutes away that sell race seats, steering wheels, racewear etc, so we had the opportunity to go and handle a variety of wheels and choose what we liked.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Exitus said:

IMG_2872.thumb.JPG.3f689ed536c671aefc66717faa065bc8.JPG

This is the only other one I can find! I can see the AIM dash pretty well - much better then the IVA wheel, as the top section of the wheel is actually larger. Dad, who is 6 foot 6, can't see the shift lights, but can see the rest. Overall a good wheel.

We're quite lucky, in that we have a company 10 minutes away that sell race seats, steering wheels, racewear etc, so we had the opportunity to go and handle a variety of wheels and choose what we liked.

54 minutes ago, AdgeC said:

Stand to be corrected, but believe the current column is an Alegro one, 48 splines. Sure somebody with more knowledge than me will confirm or correct my belief ;)

WF/Go Race qr and column, plus WF 300mm wheel. Works perfectly for me, ok for slow speed manouvering, and good view of Aim dash, behaved fine for over 2.5k miles.

Apologies for rubbish photo!

image.thumb.jpeg.788a200a3c0341b7531a2578f1357981.jpeg

Great pictures chaps - these look absolutely fantastic - Is 300mm the sweet spot between low speed maneuverability and size from a "fitting in the car" perspective? 

I'm thinking I will go for the "Go race" option - 5/6 week lead time from WF however :(

I have spoken to Go-race and they with be in stock with them in a couple of weeks. Why not order direct ?

That OMP wheel looks lovely I was about to order a momo team in 280mm but I might change it to a 300mm OMP.

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Brad Stone said:

Is 300mm the sweet spot between low speed maneuverability and size from a "fitting in the car" perspective? 

I'll admit that I haven't tried anything smaller, so can't give you a definite answer! The 300mm does fit nicely into the car though, looks proportionate and gives you some space to move. It's also fine at low speeds.

20 minutes ago, tc3nitro said:

That OMP wheel looks lovely I was about to order a momo team in 280mm but I might change it to a 300mm OMP.

The Momo Team was another that we looked at, and was also good. Think the thing that swung it was that I didn't like the perforated leather sections on the Momo wheel as much as the smooth leather over the whole OMP wheel. The OMP one is also a bit cheaper!

Edit - one other point is that we did end up needing a spacer between the quick release boss and the wheel. Whether you need one or not will depend on your car, and the length of your arms! It was easy to buy and fit though.

Edited by Exitus
23 minutes ago, tc3nitro said:

I have spoken to Go-race and they with be in stock with them in a couple of weeks. Why not order direct ?

I'm completely with you on the wheel point - I was sold on the Momo but the OMP looks absolutely delightful.