New silencer info

Sparkymart

As in a previous post I was looking for a new carbon silencer but the biggest I could find was a 5"  and as a couple of you mentioned 5 " my not be big enough  so I've decided to look at stainless steel ones 

I've been talking to Simpson exhausts and wunoff about a new can  wunoff can do 6" and Simpson can do a 6 or 7"  I feel the 7" could look out of place but I do want to turn the volume down a bit on the car. Is anyone running a 7" Simpson can or either of the 6" cans  ,How do you find them and do you have any pictures of them fitted to you Westy

Cheers Martin

Hi Martin, I have a 7" Simpson can. It's a bit of a whopper but consistently quiet. If I had another, I'd probably stick with 7" but go a little shorter:

IMG_20160416_081535487_zpsmrj4nq4x.jpg.968a3b450b8286846e75960757bde4a3.jpg

Not a great shot for seeing the silencer, what with the hood up and what have you. But hopefully you get the idea, 7” Simpsons can and large bore manifold.

The Simpson stuff, even at bulk buy quality level like mine, is superb.

IMAGE_E0A28352-FFB7-4D4E-8C62-B65C9ECA52

9 minutes ago, Martin Rice (Sparkymart) - Cornwall AO said:

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary @Kit Car Electronics does the can hang much lower than the car ? Got loads of speed humps around me and I often catch the hoop under the gearbox I would hate to catch it ..

Nope, no lower than the car there, thinks it’s just an optical illusion in the photo.

I've found an old piece of 7" plastic  pipe at work so I'm going to have a go at mocking on up so I can get an idea of how it looks on the car 

This is a 6 inch Wunoff can, the bracket detail need sorting as its currently very close (3mm) from the bodywork. Nice a quiet when cruising and raises its voice once you gun it! Nice quality. Do not really have any other feedback as I have only had my Westy 2 weeks 

Westfield Image 14.09 (7).jpg

Thanks Ricky that's kinda what I'm after, I'm getting fed up of wearing ear defenders or ear plugs every time I take the car out which is every day and my daily drive is off the road at the moment

Westfield do a 6" carbon can - I fitted mine a few weeks ago. It hasn't made my car any quieter than the 6" Wunoff that was previously fitted, but on my car, most of the noise is induction

I still have the Wunoff can if you want to borrow it for playing around - its a bit shabby though

• Thanks 1

I’ve just fitted a 6” Westfield stainless can which sounds great, doesn’t seem any louder than the standard one fitted to my 99 Zetec SEiW

inlet is 2” for interest (only fired up and revved unloaded in the garage last night mind)

One thing I was surprised about with the standard silencer is that internally it is 3 x 1” pipes which almost butt up to the end and plate....can’t be good for flow in comparison to the new one which is single pipe, straight through ???

857C8E78-A1D4-47A8-8184-50C3AAF748AC.jpeg

28319303-91F8-44B9-85C6-0FA0AF4C4ECA.jpeg

There's probably a mathematical reason for this, but the flow of a 2" pipe is exactly 1/3 more than the combined flow of three 1" pipes

That said, the three 1" pipes only need to be about 29mm before they flow the same as a single 2" pipe

Ain't Pi great?....