Porcelain sealant needed, any ideas?

Captain Colonial

Long story short...I need to mend a short hairline crack on an ancient toilet pan that would be ridiculously hard and expensive to replace, as it’s an old-fashioned outside loo with a high level cistern.  Some brainiac, well before I arrived on the scene, concreted the pan in - I’d have to smash it to pieces to get it out.  The crack is on one side near the base and the leak is tiny, in the order of one drop of water every four hours.   It’s annoying rather than critical.

So can anyone recommend some WHITE porcelain crack repair / sealant I can use to fix it please?  Thanks :)

If its only a very slight weep I'd be tempted to try sealing the crack with an emamel paint such as the small tins of Humbrol model paint.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

Fernox LSX on the inside an option?

If I knew what it was!  No problem emptying the water out of the pan. :) 

It's really good, but I've just re-read the product information and it's for external use only.  But my first thought would still be to seal it from the inside rather than the outside.  Just got to find a product suitable for it :) 

A crack like that is going to steadily open up if it is till being used. Might as well get yer Birmingham Screwdriver out and change it out.

For a stop gap solution use Plumbers Gold from  Screwfix, it will seal gaps and cracks that are wet or under water.

It’s actually been like that for at least 20 years, believe it or not, but yeah someday it will let go - just hopefully not while I’m here.  I’m planning on selling up and moving fairly soon, and then I can see the next owner tearing it down for being too old fashioned.  So it’s just a stop gap measure. :) 

Dont ask about the lead water pipe that runs under the concrete kitchen floor that supplies it....!

• Haha 1

Lead pipes, not good at all.  I spent 4 days round my friends house digging in a new water main from the footpath to his stopcock. There was a dramatic increase in water flow when we finished. The old lead pipe was all crusty inside and only about 3-4mm bore for water to flow through.

Can be repaired permanently and / or invisibly using epoxy resin . Use a suitable pigment paste to colour match if required , hese are available in the full RAL colour range from somewhere like CFS fiberglass 

CFS catalogue 4U

• Like 2