Upgrade to LED Headlight/Indicator/DRL and fitting driving lights

Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO

I have been using my recently acquired 2012 SEiW as much as possible over the past 2 weeks for commuting and fun (too much of the first and not enough of the latter) and have noticed that the standard fitted Westfield headlights are pretty poor with their output. 

So, as the nights draw in and I intend to continue using the car as much as possible, I was looking to improve what I can see and what others can see of me too!  My options as I see them are:

1. Replace the bulbs with some higher power options (Suggestions as a quick fix?);
  2. Convert to LED;
  3. Replace the headlight unit:
    1. With a better traditional unit
    2. With an LED unit
    3. With a combined LED/Indicator/DRL unit

I did like the Venom HL but reviews have steered me away from them, possible Harley Replacement lights from Fleabay - thoughts?

BB6BDAD3-A789-4148-BB56-CB31422981E7.jpeg.4b2f772537339a20739c443a3ef2c2ea.jpeg

Also, If I was to use a combined unit, are there any restrictions on fitting Driving Lights in place of the current Westfield indicator stalks/pods and again any suggestions?

image.png.9d3853372568afac67ce38a1e669224c.png

@CeeBee Gone through the same process with headlights, Not fitted aux. lights though. Link below to headlamp saga on my build thread, scroll down the page.

Hope this helps. Interesting to see what path you take.

I’ve fitted the ones shown that have a HALO led sidelight dipped and main beam, they are in 5 3/4 bowls and use the standard 3 pin headlight plus with a separate sideliight feed. Sealed LED units

Ebay from China in less than 2 weeks and work a treat

0A94AE77-47D0-4EBD-B4B4-88FBF535E274.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Banshee said:

I’ve fitted the ones shown that have a HALO led sidelight dipped and main beam, they are in 5 3/4 bowls and use the standard 3 pin headlight plus with a separate sideliight feed. Sealed LED units

Ebay from China in less than 2 weeks and work a treat

0A94AE77-47D0-4EBD-B4B4-88FBF535E274.jpeg

What are they like at night on high beam,do they focus the light up the road or is it more of a flood of light with no distance?

Thanks chaps must appreciated. I think I might have a go with the EBay specials - daymakers! 

Since changing standard bulbs to Osram night breakers I pretty much stopped thinking about upgrading to LEDs. They seem to work just fine!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/generation-brightness-headlamp-64193NL-HCB-passenger/dp/B07FXKF1NT/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1537826285&sr=1-5

Edited by jabiqq
link corrected to h4 bulbs

Are you sure those are the right ones in the link? Or are they for non standard size headlamps. Westfield standard 5 3/4” headlamps normally take H4 type bulbs, whereas those are H7’s?

On 24/09/2018 at 22:37, jabiqq said:

Since changing standard bulbs to Osram night breakers I pretty much stopped thinking about upgrading to LEDs. They seem to work just fine!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/generation-brightness-headlamp-64193NL-HCB-passenger/dp/B07FXKF1NT/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1537826285&sr=1-5

Ordered a pair of the osrams and they arrived this morning so I swapped them with the LEDs I'm currently using them before I went to work 

So on the way home tonight was the first test  of them .

The light seems very yellow compared to the LED H7s and the dipped bead wasn't as wide the LEDs but was more concentrated in front of the car 

On main beam the light was definitely more focused giving more punch into the darkness but not as bright as I expected 

The LEDs lamps on main beam just give me a big flood of light and not much projected light 

I think I'm going to put the LEDs back in as they are much brighter on dipped beam and I can normally just drive on low beam when taking it easy .

When I get a bit of spare time I'll try and take some photos .it will also be interesting to see what voltage I'm getting at the lamps and compare the light output with a direct feed from the battery just in case I'm loosing anything at the switch etc 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello,

which Harley DRL headlamp pods off eBay has anyone used that fits inside standard Westfield bezel and front rings?

please advise me 

Thanks John

18 minutes ago, John connors said:

Hello,

which Harley DRL headlamp pods off eBay has anyone used that fits inside standard Westfield bezel and front rings?

please advise me 

Thanks John

I've just done mine 

23 minutes ago, John connors said:

Hello,

please advise me 

Thanks John

Daymaker. Plug and play. Only thing I needed to do was to ease the retaining springs as the new lense is thicker than original.