Drill Stand

Kevin (Mr T)

Can anyone recommend a drill stand (to make my handheld into a pillar drill) that works, but doesn't break the bank?

I bought a cheap pillar drill from Machine Mart and use it a lot. They also do drill stands if you are happy to do the swap overs. I wonder about using different drlll speeds. Could be awkward if you need to hold the piece you're drilling too. 

• Like 1

I bought a bench mounted pillar drill from Axminster tools for woodworking a few years ago. It's been a really useful machine, used it quite a bit during my build and for all sorts of odd jobs. If you can find one at a reasonable price, would highly recommend one as well as a hand held drill. Not answered your question, but just my twopenneth ;)

• Like 1

Don't go with the "mount your pistol drill in this" type that are not worth the effort as there is little likelihood it will drill straight.

Have a look on FB or e of the Bay for a 2nd had one, seen a lot cheap on FB, or look in Lidl or Aldi

• Like 1

A decent bench pillar drill will make your wonder how you ever managed without one.

Got mine from SIPS

https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-01701-b16-12-bench-pillar-drill.html

They're basically ALL exactly the same, made in China with sightly different specs and painted different colours for different retailers (Draper, Clark, etc etc), BUT this was the best price for the spec (16mm chuck and a depth stop) and the best looking (IMO).

I've had it a year and not a week goes by without me using it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lyonspride said:

A decent bench pillar drill will make your wonder how you ever managed without one.

Got mine from SIPS

https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-01701-b16-12-bench-pillar-drill.html

They're basically ALL exactly the same, made in China with sightly different specs and painted different colours for different retailers (Draper, Clark, etc etc), BUT this was the best price for the spec (16mm chuck and a depth stop) and the best looking (IMO).

I've had it a year and not a week goes by without me using it.

I like the look of that with the table side rack winding handle - does it lock off somehow to stay steady?

10 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

I like the look of that with the table side rack winding handle - does it lock off somehow to stay steady?

Assuming it's the same as the Axminster one (looks it), the table clamps onto the pillar at whatever position you want height wise, and radially.

• Thanks 1

Most of them usually have a punch bolt, hand operated clamp that tightens up in the pillar, normally behind the pillar, IYSWIM.

On 20/09/2018 at 21:37, Kit Car Electronics said:

Yes, there's a lock off handle on the other side.

On 21/09/2018 at 08:28, AdgeC said:

Assuming it's the same as the Axminster one (looks it), the table clamps onto the pillar at whatever position you want height wise, and radially.

I do believe this one is the same.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-ahdp16b-bench-pillar-drill-101926

Aside from the keyless chuck, which I didn't go for as a decent keyless chuck should set you back the cost of the entire pillar drill :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lyonspride said:

I do believe this one is the same.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-ahdp16b-bench-pillar-drill-101926

Aside from the keyless chuck, which I didn't go for as a decent keyless chuck should set you back the cost of the entire pillar drill :D

Yep, mines an earlier version, subtle differences on feed handles by the look of it. Find it's much used (and abused!).