Back in the game....

Mighty Mart

So, after breaking down on the way back from Shelsey Walsh a while back, and having just been made redundant and starting a new job, I'd left the westie in the garage not daring to see what had happened...

after a few wild goose chases, the distributor was found to be siezed, causing the drive to shear...

sump off and gave it a good checking over....rescuing all the bits of drive in the process. Cam looked unscathed, took off the oil pump housing to ensure all good there too.

poured some cheap 10-40 down through the galleries and then cleaned it all up. Sump cleaned and refitted, along with inlet manifold and carbs. Distributor rebuilt by h & h ignition....can recommend those guys btw.

new alternator, coil, and ignition module too.

timed at 12 btdc and dizzy lined up with no1.

a few turns with the plugs out to get the oil pressure up and then plugs in and she fired up on the 3rd spin, so well chuffed. Turned the dizzy round a few degrees to find the fastest idle once warmed up and jobs a goodun.....so far.

need to get the timing checked at 5000rpm but relieved so far...only time will tell though.

annoyed I missed all the nice weather but other things took priority. Also a shame as there's a new AO locally who is keen as by the looks of things.

looking forwards to taking it out again...either this year or next spring.

Mart.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

Good to see you're back on the road. Plenty of opportunities to "play" this Autumn hopefully.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Skypeller said:

Congratulations! Both with the job and sorting the Westfield! good news! 

Exactly that above :yes:

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear you have got your problems sorted, as a fellow crossflow owner I am interested to know how much ground clearance you have under the sump, I guess from the pics you are running a wet sump too, I am having trouble with frequent grounding out and getting really concerned about it for obvious reasons. I am running a Kent crossflow engined SEi Wide 1990 Westy, with a standand wet sump. This is giving me about 50mm ground clearance with one up and I guess quite a bit less with a passenger.

I have looked into cutting the sump down however the bell housing is only around 15mm higher so not going to gain much for quite a lot of hassle.

Any tips would be greatly received. 

Hi Ricky,

will get a few pics of it tomorrow some time and measure it too.

not sure what sump it is, but it was baffled as well when I dropped it out. 

Overall package looks pretty good tbh so glad I inherited the set up from previous owners.

its had a few whacks, but not in my ownership so far, and roads terrible around here....

Mart.

18 hours ago, Ricky_B said:

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear you have got your problems sorted, as a fellow crossflow owner I am interested to know how much ground clearance you have under the sump, I guess from the pics you are running a wet sump too, I am having trouble with frequent grounding out and getting really concerned about it for obvious reasons. I am running a Kent crossflow engined SEi Wide 1990 Westy, with a standand wet sump. This is giving me about 50mm ground clearance with one up and I guess quite a bit less with a passenger.

I have looked into cutting the sump down however the bell housing is only around 15mm higher so not going to gain much for quite a lot of hassle.

Any tips would be greatly received. 

Hi Ricky,

heres some pics of mine. It's an ally one and is baffled internally by a separate plate which bolts in. The tape was resting against the front of the sump and was square by the way!

It takes about 4.75 Ltrs to fill....5 Ltrs is too much and the catch tank comes into play with heavy right foot use. Once down to 4.75 it's fine.

dont get any grounding issues and throw it around a fair bit.

hope that helps?

Mart.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Mart, that is great thanks. So it looks like your sump to pretty much flush with the bell housing and you have 65 - 70mm of clearance. Was that measurement with any driver or passengers? I am going to take a good look at mine tomorrow and see what can be done. I am getting a little paranoid about it now when driving which is taking the edge off the fun!

Empty mate. Once it drys up a bit, I'll sit in it and get a pic. Don't believe it will make too much difference but I may get a surprise lol...

Mart.