Last fling at the Rock? Oct 21st

Andrew

Just doing final prep now and swapping from road tyres to slicks. 

See you in the morning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ben (bunje) said:

Did you guys have a good day? 

It was OK Ben. A bit too much traffic at times.. it felt a bit like the M25! (see pic)

927021734_AstonFerrari.jpg.366b94ffbec52fc7aa5a20f393ad9d6c.jpg

Will put some more words together tomorrow.. I'm knackered. :zzz:

Well, .. .. what can I say.. The weather could not have been better. Clear blue sky for most of the day.. apart from what looked like fog rolling across the track at turn one now and again… which in fact was tyre smoke from a British drift championship event being held in the car park. Luckily the wind was blowing in the right direction, so the paddock remained smoke free! :oops:

The day was fully booked, which wasn't too bad, but there was a problem with a couple of "experience" outfits. There were some fast cars, mostly being driven very slowly, combined with some fast cars being driven quite quickly. The Ferrari was pretty ballistic down the straight, but I'm not convinced he was much quicker than us in the twisty bits.

Anyway, after we realised we weren't going to see much in the way of clear laps, it was actually fun cutting through the traffic.. as I said, a bit like a Friday on the M25. :laugh:

There were four cars in our group. Three Westys and Steve H's Pug 106. Steve and Matt Nossiter, newly crowned 2018 750mc Club Enduro champions btw! :cool: were giving the Pug a bit of a test before it takes part in the Birket relay race next weekend. Plans for that sadly had to be changed, when the mighty supercharged Pug ventilated it's crank case. One cod rod tried to escape! :down: Mike Whitworth was next to retire early, but his car was fine.. he however suffered a persistent headache, possibly not being made any better by the persistent noise and tyre smoke from the drifters. Hope you're feeling better today Michael.

My car didn't escape fault free.. My son Pete had to suffer the tow of shame after the throttle cable snapped. Luckily I had a spare, so 5 minute job, and we were back in play. Pete and Stoney (Red shed) had a few good chases, so will get some vids sorted out later.

I think, due to the exceptional weather on the day, it was given a big thumbs up. :sun: Had it been wet and miserable, we might have given up by lunchtime! :laugh:

So that's Rockingham. RIP. :cry:

DSC_7117c.thumb.jpg.aa72c692be8eca812058545702a250a0.jpgDSC_7108.thumb.JPG.67c315e6bf35154c930b7e85a881e635.JPG

DSC_7157.thumb.JPG.cbc6759cd46f3c3c095531b91174d800.JPGDSC_7184.thumb.JPG.446603b61e6c330444908adf6747ae28.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Ben (bunje) said:

you guys couldnt of picked a better day for the weather. onto donnington now then?

We had a bit of a chat about Donny. If we do it, it will definitely be a late booking. I've no fancy for a miserable wet one.

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 18:08, Simon_Jones said:

I'm booked along with my Son and one of his friends.  I'm doing the BARC sprint the on Saturday, staying over and finishing up with the track day on Sunday.  Hoping it will be a good weekend and great if there are a few Westy's there!

Simon

Nice to meet you yesterday Simon. :yes:

Nice to meet you too Andrew and great photo.  Perfect weather and a really good weekend with a class win and PB at the BARC sprint on Saturday and a 'lads day' with my Son and a friend (mainly) in the MX-5.  As you say, it was a bit busy with a wide speed range of vehicle which made it tricky for my Son's friend's first ever track day, but he did well and enjoyed himself.  Pity it's the finale....

Hope to see you at another event and maybe get a proper run together in the Westy's!

• Like 1

Sounds like you had a good day.  Just hope the weather is like that for my track day there on the 8th December (maybe wishful thinking!)

As for how busy, I wonder if they are just packing it out to get the most cash out of it, with no worry about bad feedback?   All the remaining days are showing sold out so probably not, just seems strange it was so busy as I’ve never known it like that 

1 hour ago, M@r]{ said:

Sounds like you had a good day.  Just hope the weather is like that for my track day there on the 8th December (maybe wishful thinking!)

As for how busy, I wonder if they are just packing it out to get the most cash out of it, with no worry about bad feedback?   All the remaining days are showing sold out so probably not, just seems strange it was so busy as I’ve never known it like that 

I don't think the total numbers were large.. it's just those experience day drivers really spoil the flow. I also don't think they were keeping track of how many cars were on the circuit.. the up side being, there were no queues, (apart from after a red flag) .. the downside being of, course it was a bit busy on track. 

I'm not sure if a load left early, but the afternoon definitely thinned out a bit. 

Should get a couple of vids up overnight. 

A couple of vids:

First one is me driving, trying to hang on to a pal in the red car, with some heavy traffic at times. We copped a red flag just as I went over the finish line, so as instructed in the briefing, drove right round the oval back to the paddock. :cool:

Second one is Pete driving. Very last session, also chasing the red shed. A slightly naughty move on a Caterham that didn't want to let him past .. frustration getting the better of him :oops:  The camera battery died unfortunately before the session ended. 

Rockingham R.I.P. :(

1 hour ago, M@r]{ said:

Great vids.  Red car looks like it’s rolling quite a lot?

Just had another look.. it does look a bit soft, now you've mentioned it. Pretty sure he hasn't changed anything lately .. I'll mention it to him, snapped rear arb's are not uncommon. He'll no doubt get a vid up chasing my car at some point, so we can compare the amount of roll. 

only done one full track day there despite living 30 mins away - its a pretty good track

Although my engine did implode :getmecoat: