Pics of painted interior panels in a westy

Rusty Nuts

As per title I'm thinking of painting the tunnel panels gloss black just wanted to see what it looks like - tunnel side and top panels, or is carbon the only way to go?

The previous owner of my Westy took the interior panels off the sides of the car and painted the whole of the cabin in satin black - IMHO, it looks pretty good, gives a tiny bit more room and saves a bit of weight - what's not to like?

Not sure if you can see much in this shot....

DSC_1397.jpg

Have a look at my build bud

I followed a few others so I'm not claiming any fame, fitted the panel to the target location on the car, held on with Cleco, then removed and cut to fit exact;y, de-bured all the edges, then sanded with a random orbital sander before 3 coats of DINITROL 445

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C77DBN2/?coliid=IDYJL73J75WSV&colid=IDSM4454UMTK&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00746AJH2/?coliid=I3NYLHXS2D45F3&colid=IDSM4454UMTK&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

So 9 months to complete my build and about 3 months on the road and everything is holding up really well.  If I were to do a 2nd car (planing stage) I'd invest the time again as un-protected aluminum can seriously decay.  On of my group "Buttercup" has just re-built his car had had to replace large portions of crumbling aluminium.  Another builder here had them coated, whihc you might consider (a nice gray if i remember correctly)

Hope that of some help?

I've wrapped mine in carbon effect vinyl. Not going to be as light, hard wearing or as nice looking as real carbon but looks pretty reasonable on a budget! 

IMG_20160305_170259_zps7vvo5wjb.jpg

Powdercoat sticks well to fresh aluminium and can look pretty good. Tough, too. BUT, don't try getting old panels done - once they've aged a bit and accumulated assorted blemishes you can have real problems getting a decent finish. Ask me how I know....