Boot box fitting. Will this fit

hammie

Morning. 

I have purchased the black box pictured to replace the old and cut up original. It is a genuine Westfield item but apart from the fact it has the step for a long range tank the green has a diagonal portion behind the roll bar brace. I had some time yesterday so took some photos of the old and noticed the differance. Will this fit before I dismantle.

s-l1600.jpg

20180906_103015.jpg

20180906_103009.jpg

The new one looks like the current ZK bodywork boot box, whereas in the photo it looks like you may have the earlier, previous Kit type bodywork.

I’ve never tried the swap, I dimly recall someone saying it didn’t fit, but I may be mistaken!! (Sorry, not a lot of help, I know)

With the boot box out is it an easy job to just wizz the roll bar off? then you just drop the boot box in without cutting it to see if it fits .

2 hours ago, corsechris said:

That looks tidy!

Thanks.

Looking for ideas to finish of when I have cut out the sides of the box. All I have to go on is the green monstrosity. Any pictures greatfully viewed.

Hope these help.....

IMG_1235.thumb.JPG.a1dd9932c58a2f19870e6a97e23965cc.JPG

IMG_1242.thumb.JPG.38b43332bb186c3a08824085c4a3e058.JPG

IMG_1272.thumb.JPG.1f025c62a5f01f9b594e4b6322d0f5b1.JPG

I used a laser pointer fastened in line from the top rose-joint, using a piece of plastic pipe, and pointing to the centre of the bottom joint to mark the centre of the brace bar and it's angle in the boot.

Once marked up it was a case of easing the slot up to the right size for the 50mm OD plastic drain pipe (B&Q). 

Any questions, ask away :) 

• Like 3

Rather than cutting the sides for the diagonals, I cut my box in half taking about 90mm out and bonded it back together using fibreglass. 

20180310_152835.jpg

20180310_145840.jpg

3 hours ago, Wilfman said:

Hope these help.....

IMG_1235.thumb.JPG.a1dd9932c58a2f19870e6a97e23965cc.JPG

IMG_1242.thumb.JPG.38b43332bb186c3a08824085c4a3e058.JPG

IMG_1272.thumb.JPG.1f025c62a5f01f9b594e4b6322d0f5b1.JPG

I used a laser pointer fastened in line from the top rose-joint, using a piece of plastic pipe, and pointing to the centre of the bottom joint to mark the centre of the brace bar and it's angle in the boot.

Once marked up it was a case of easing the slot up to the right size for the 50mm OD plastic drain pipe (B&Q). 

Any questions, ask away :) 

It's a lovely job too when you see it in the flesh.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO said:

Rather than cutting the sides for the diagonals, I cut my box in half taking about 90mm out and bonded it back together using fibreglass. 

20180310_145840.jpg

That's at least two 'cut n-shut' jobs, I'm aware of you doing @Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO :p When will you be doing a 4 seater Westie?

• Haha 2

Any questions, ask away :) 

Wilfman.

Can you explain your bonding/filling process. What did you use.

Great looking job BTW.

I'm all marked up, measured twice etc, just got to pluck up the courage to make the first cut. I used a tile profile gauge and sliding bezel once I found the angle with an inclimometer. 

20180908_133058.jpg

10 minutes ago, hammie said:

Any questions, ask away :) 

Wilfman.

Can you explain your bonding/filling process. What did you use.

Great looking job BTW.

I'm all marked up, measured twice etc, just got to pluck up the courage to make the first cut. I used a tile profile gauge and sliding bezel once I found the angle with an inclimometer. 

20180908_133058.jpg

Once everything is cut, reassemble it all with the plastic tubes over the brace bars (I used masking tape wrapped round the bar to the internal thickness of the plastic tube so it is correctly centred).

IMG_1218.thumb.JPG.88cb0f9f55893dc936acfc681ff999e2.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG.21b0c3eecf5bd1263524563f25a1b3c2.JPG

A couple of strips of glass fibre and resin applied from under the arches onto the original boot and over the pipe and leave it to go off till morning.

Build up the inside gaps with IsoPon P38 and sand with decreasing grade paper to desired finish.

I got a local paint shop to spray mine up as I was after a lacquered satin black finish.

Interestingly they don't fit as well if you are trying to put a "ZK" style Boot box in a  "Kit" style car. the Kit ones are more square... I'm still looking for one so I can do exactly this!