Lawn care.

dhutch

Can anyone ID this weed? 

I've acquired a new lawn having moved house, I think it's been cut too short for years and as such is looking worse for wear. I've run some 'mosskill and feed' over it which has taken out most of the moss and greened up what is there, but it's not all grass.

I think one of the main weeds I have is yarrow, but the other is not matching 'common lawn weed' lists I can find.

Thanks

Daniel

20180827_144052.jpg

20180827_144103.jpg

20180827_145215.jpg

20180827_144103.jpg

Yarrow (other maybe plantain but doesn't look quite right for that?)

46 minutes ago, Rory's Dad said:

Not sure - does it have little blue flowers or a plantain type stem? Probably the latter... 

Don't think the leaf veins are right for plantain,  but a few weeks growth and it will be easier to identify.

On 07/09/2018 at 16:07, Rory's Dad said:

Not sure - does it have little blue flowers or a plantain type stem? Probably the latter... 

Here we go, got a better photos of it, including a flower. Sent it to mum and she says she thinks its Hawkweed.

Struggling to find much information on what I can use to get rid, apparently glyphosate kills it but I dont expect I will have much lawn left!

The moss has gone well, and I spent Sunday with the electric lawn rake removing that and giving the Yarrow a hard time. 
So if we can shift a reasonable of the Hawkweed, re-seed over the top and top dress, might have a reasonable stab at a lawn!

Daniel

20180909_153306.jpg

20180909_153315.jpg

Daniel, the hawksweed (if that is what it is) will be much easier to get rid of than yarrow. Most lawn weeds will respond well to something like Scotts lawncare 4 in 1, which feeds the grass, kills the moss, and kills the broadleafed weeds quite well.  But they only work well when the grass is growing quite well, so not after this month nor before April. And if it doesn't rain within the following day or so then water the lawn lightly.

18 hours ago, stephenh said:

...the hawksweed will be much easier to get rid of than yarrow. ... will respond well to something like Scotts lawncare 4 in 1, which ....kills the broadleafed weeds quite well.  

Ok, if 4-in-1 is a good broad-leaf selective weed killer that sounds good to me. I'll get big bag of it on the way home and have a go one evening.

Understand we are getting towards the end of the growing season and will have to re-start in spring but we might as well have a stab while where here.

I expect once dead and re-scarified it will want re-seeding and or top-dressing with a bit of soil. Presumably no harm in doing that now, but time is starting to run out?

17 hours ago, Rory's Dad said:

... and when you've done yours, please could you come and do mine :d

Yes well. I am not aiming for or expecting perfection, but a combination of the previous owner cutting it stupid short and the dry summer means it really does look a lot worse 'on the ground' than the photos show, so I'm keen to get the base line a bit higher if we can!

Daniel

Called in an BnQ on the way home for the opening hours, and picked up a bag of Westland 'all in one' feed, weed and moss.

Will finish scarifying the second half tonight if its not persisting it down quite as much, give it 24h to recover, and get it spread on. 

https://www.diy.com/departments/westland-granular-lawn-fertiliser-14kg/1641710_BQ.prd

Daniel

So there we are late into the night and two wheely bins of rakings later, a scarified lawn!

Recommendations for lawn seed to overseed with? Are the 'shady lawn' or 'dry lawn' mixes any use or do I just want a straight down the line lawn seed? Some say avoid anything with rye grass, others say make sure you have some in. 

All thoughts welcome!

Daniel

20180911_194401.jpg

20180912_074508.jpg

Looks like once you’re done, you need to go and help you neighbour at the back :laugh:

I wish my lawn looked that good, after this last summer!

As you have overhanging shrubs on the lawn margins don't use the finest grass seed, as it wont stand the dripping from the overhanging branches in the winter months. Better to use a general purpose lawn grass seed.

Also, if you do use grass seed to over sow the bare patches, I'd buy a bag of sterilized loam (available from any decent garden centre) and mix the grass seed with the loam. It will bulk out the seed to make it easier to spread evenly, and will give the seed a bit of protection when it first germinates, so helping it to root. It is how golf club green keepers repair divot holes on golf tees, and fairways.

Oh, and when you've finished, will you pop back down to Staffordshire and give my lawn a going over?:d  

• Haha 1