Stuart Faulkner - Shows & Events Coordinator

Detachable steering wheel for IVA.

55 minutes ago, Stuart Faulkner - Shows & Events Coordinator said:

Am I Correct in assuming that detachable steering wheels will not pass IVA. 

The general consensus is that Yes you are correct.

However the manual doesn't seem to make any suggestion as to whether it can or cannot be used but I suspect that an examiner would frown upon a steering wheel that could easily be removed whilst the vehicle is in motion causing an unsafe condition.

:yes:

• Thanks 1

@Stuart Faulkner - Shows & Events Coordinator Bit off kilter, but on the same vein, when mine went through IVA last year, examiner looked carefully at steering wheel boss. Said he was checking to ensure it had some degree of "collapsibility" built in, which the WF IVA wheel does apparently! Guess "normal" flat faced wheels won't comply in that respect!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stuart Faulkner - Shows & Events Coordinator said:

It looks like it’s going in with the standard Mazda wheel. 

It’s a bit big but nice and safe. :)

Mine passed SVA with the standard westfield wheel, a collapsible boss and the mazda collapsible column which was all fine.

the issue generally with removable wheels is that the boss isn't colapsible and nor is the normal westfield column.

57 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

Mine passed SVA with the standard westfield wheel, a collapsible boss and the mazda collapsible column which was all fine.

the issue generally with removable wheels is that the boss isn't colapsible and nor is the normal westfield column.

I assume the spline is the same for the WF and the Mazda then?

No... I just used the traditional momo type adapter (which is collapsible) and then had an adapter made to fit the PCD of the Westfield wheel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dommo said:

No... I just used the traditional momo type adapter (which is collapsible) and then had an adapter made to fit the PCD of the Westfield wheel.

This is what i did too.

Image005.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Taylor - Scotland AO said:

I passed Iva with a removable steering wheel and Mazda column and freewheel buttons on the wheel examiner checked all around and under dash but never commented on the removable aspect only on the neat button arrangement 

That's interesting Gary, I've not heard of anyone else having submitted a car for IVA with a quick release wheel.

I myself have a quick release column and Momo wheel but thought I would need to wait until after IVA as it would most likely fail.

I may have to reconsider.

:)

This is the only picture on my phone but can get another Tomorrow if needed as it still is as I had it for the test

not seen in this picture I had a rubber gaiter covering the exposed shaft from the dash to the release ring

please note this was with the tester from Glasgow at Aberdeen and as others have said on many other points may be down to an individual testers interpretation 

9EC578D7-52B4-45B6-B29E-DFC649A52F73.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, looking at your car the join between the tunnel panel and tunnel top looks very neat, any chance of some better photos as I need to do the same to mine and want a professional look, also where did you get your rocker switches from they look much nicer than the standard Westfield ones, thanks David

• Like 1

15 hours ago, overthehill said:

Hi, looking at your car the join between the tunnel panel and tunnel top looks very neat, any chance of some better photos as I need to do the same to mine and want a professional look, also where did you get your rocker switches from they look much nicer than the standard Westfield ones, thanks David

Thanks David i will get a couple of pictures after work and the switches are RDX K switches either of eBay or from bolt on bits and are available with different legends to suit also i had  a spare two position switch so swapped the top over as my wiper one was on/off and needed on/on/off