MG Midget or AH Sprite

Morris

Hi, I'm looking for a donor 1275 cc chrome bumper Midget or Sprite for my xi build. Anyone know of any sorry looking ones languishing somewhere and looking for reincarnation into something very nice!:) Many thanks. Morris. 

Sorry, I sold mine in 1976 - it's still running around though. SBH721J 

Indeed so. I drove from Wooburn Green (Nr High Wycombe) to NW9 near Stanmore to work every day with the top down for weeks. Only the fact that I got a company car later that year made me sell it. My two-year old daughter loved riding behind the seats when the hood was down. We would be hung, drawn, and quartered these days if we didn't have her strapped tightly into a rearward facing seat. I must admit she rode in it only twice and only for a mile or so. Funny though, now she's an adult with her own daughters, she doesn't like cars much and certainly not a Westfield or any soft-top. Must have been the aversion therapy!

On a serious note, good luck with the search and if you're after one with a gearbox, try to find out what kind of condition first gear is in because they tended to get very noisy. 

Good luck. I’m not helpful either sold my AH in 1972 and my MG in 1977. What about the MG Migdet club, they may know of one.

But would the MG / Austin Healey Clubs willingly involve themselves in sending one of their rusting "classics" to an early grave breathing life into a Westfield kit?

I actually sold on my donor car bodyshell as it was basically solid (as it should have been with the number of repair plates that it had welded into it!

I browsed Gumtree at lunchtime and saw two or three likely cars - but at appreciably more than the £740 that I paid four years ago!  I bought mine in Glasgow but the price difference was more than enough to cover some diesel in the company car (towing my trailer) and a night out in a B&B)

Simon

From memory I paid about £740 for my 'J' plate (1970) Midget in 1972 when it was less than two years old! I sold it for about £450 in 1976. 

Mk1 1100cc £750

1972 currently £2300

1973 currently £2500 - in Buckingham

1967 1275 wire wheels £3450 buy now

4 potential donors on eBay today - I'd probably look at the 3rd (I think it's close to you in Buckingham) and 4th if you want wirewheels (different axles) and a buy now - if you want to fully refurbish everything and overhaul/upgrade the engine regardless of current condition the 1st.

Just don't tell them you're only after it as a donor for a kit car...…

The second one is not 1972. After 1971 they had semi-circular rear arches and the grille is certainly 1969 or earlier. Alarms bells ring loudly re. honesty. I agree about the third one except the minilites are inappropriate. Not that you care about compatibility with the donor.

Many thanks for the comments everyone. I've found a donor now (from within the wscc) which I'll be collecting next Friday. 

• Like 3

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.