Kit Car Electronics

New FreeWheel Solid State Wireless Steering Button controller

I've been busy designing a new FreeWheel version over the last year - I'm just putting the finishing touches to it and wanted to share.

This version has full solid state switching of standard automotive relays, with built-in short circuit protection.

It has 8 standard on/off channels, plus 2 multi-position switch/ potentiometer channels that give a 2Hz 0-5V analogue output, still with great transmitter battery life (the transmitter only stays powered if the receiver is also powered). The standard version brings the wires out through a gland nut, but has a USB socket in the case, but eventually a future expansion card brings MIL-type case connector and CAN signal options (albeit with some expense...)

40651301_724659197882637_4456766565240537088_n.thumb.jpg.69af70ca2ae69d1b0d1af73c873e93a7.jpg

• Like 7

Mike,

2 hours ago, Kevin (Mr T) - Essex AO said:

Love it!

.....the pictures that is, don't understand a word of it ???

^^^^^ i agree, sounds great but you will have to put it into bite sized easy to understand language for me to get to grips with!

So does this replace free wheel or is it something in addition to?

Andy

• Like 1

:yes::cool:  looks a nice upgrade 

Sorry, I get carried away with myself :d

It's another version of the FreeWheel that doesn't use physical relays inside the receiver case, so it's smaller and lighter. Plus it has a couple more channels that could be used for things like variable slip adjustment on high-end ECU traction control. Each channel can drive a standard car relay directly, or is perfect for connecting to a digidash, power distribution unit or gearshift controller for example. 

Not so much demand in Westfields, but lots of race cars are going high-tech and want solid state goodies...

It uses a chip designed for production car body control modules, hence full diagnostic and circuit protection features

• Like 2

sounds perfect 

Thanks Pete, I remember you asking for the USB connector to be moved to the case, it just took a while as I had to re-design the whole thing.

like the idea of adjustable pots and lighter /smaller 

19 minutes ago, pete g said:

:yes::cool:  looks a nice upgrade 

if your existing channels are all ground-side switching, it would be quite easy to fit crimp terminals and MIL connector to your existing harness and just plug it in instead, if the need ever arose.

keep us updated

As usual top stuff, I do need to do something with my dash once I get back on the road this is looking good really good.:yes: