Ride height

hammie

3 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Stu's a big Jag fan and chairman of his local shooting club!

Wheres he based?

23 minutes ago, hammie said:

I still have a couple of good fuel caps if there is a market for them.

Yes - worth £30-ish each, maybe a bit more if they are very clean

6 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Stu's a big Jag fan and chairman of his local shooting club!

Guilty on both counts.

My daily is a XF S which I really like and yes the WSCC is my second hobby really Doesn't stop me loving this club any less though.

Here’s an old favourite for setting up the ride hight http://westfield-world.com/suspension.html Don’t forget to simulate your weight in the drivers seat. That should sort out the rear rubbage.

The front rubbage can’t be adjusted in the same way as the cycle wings move up and down with the wheel, when adjusting the suspension platform. You can either trim the outer edges of the cycle wing or re-position the cycle wing on the cycle wing bracket. Last idea that will work albeit not a good one, is to bend the bracket a tad so it clears the tyre.

8 hours ago, Stuart Faulkner - Shows & Events Coordinator said:

Guilty on both counts.

My daily is a XF S which I really like and yes the WSCC is my second hobby really Doesn't stop me loving this club any less though.

Mines not an S im sorry to say but my GF really wanred me to have a white one which is hard to find so plumed for the standard. I had 3 S Types before this. Might get a remap one day. 

Love the term rubbage. Going to have to use it in conversation today. The fronts clear just with a gentle persuasion to realign but are hanging up on something on the hub. Some micrometer blue will highlight the problem when i do the discs at the weekend. There is a 1mm gap between inner face and flange. The holes in the wheel are just over 13mm whereas on the old Ford Puma wheels they are about 20mm?

Well, it took 11 turns to get the ride height to 170mm. Fingers crossed that has eliminated the rubbage. I also increased the damping rate by 8 but to firm so backed off 4 clicks

20180906_102334.jpg

I’d be tempted to fit longer springs, not just because they would fit better but the size of the ones that you have may be fronts which would be too firm for the rear. 

They could of course be short springs and the rate is fine for the rear. 

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting my old issue. Even with reducing the weight, albeit some of it unsprung with 2 fat lads in today I'm still getting rubbage. So I have taken one the rear coils off today.

How do you tell the rate of the spring. It's 1.9 and 240mm long. So I'm thinking of a stronger and longer spring as advised previously. 

And where to get them from.

Cheers in advance

It's either marked in the end or you can calculate it, but needs measuring VERY accurately this way.

Longer springs won't help, you need stiffer, or IMO some decent bump stops is a better bet. Long and soft, such as those from the rear of an Octavia cut down a touch, work well.

How do you measure the rate. I have a hydraulic press at work, would measuring the compression to a given PSI be able to be converted.

I was told to use weights to compress the spring by 1" and measure how much weight it takes - so if it takes 300 lbs to compress the spring 1" its a 300 lb spring rate.

1 hour ago, AdamR said:

It's either marked in the end or you can calculate it, but needs measuring VERY accurately this way.

Longer springs won't help, you need stiffer, or IMO some decent bump stops is a better bet. Long and soft, such as those from the rear of an Octavia cut down a touch, work well.

Adam, which bump stops do you recommend from which model/year Octavia and how much cut off.

06, depends on your setup. Fit full length, take the springs off, let the car sit down, jump up and down on the rear of it, see where you're at.