Half Hood Vs Full Hood

Vogalogue

This is mine bought from a wscc member had to put some poppers on the rear straps, not been out in the rain yet you get s draught around the back of your neck. 

Tony

20180916_145850.thumb.jpg.dc58116396ecd8bfa08e85fc5be4fc5a.jpg20180916_145838.thumb.jpg.2209461ab717766bf8b08baa85110a5b.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good Wizzer.. I guess having a  rear Toneau/boot cover would make like tricky with poppers!

Half hood with easy access zips, half doors and wind deflectors. It's the future.

5 hours ago, wizzer said:

This is mine bought from a wscc member had to put some poppers on the rear straps, not been out in the rain yet you get s draught around the back of your neck. 

Tony

20180916_145850.thumb.jpg.dc58116396ecd8bfa08e85fc5be4fc5a.jpg20180916_145838.thumb.jpg.2209461ab717766bf8b08baa85110a5b.jpg

Just to compare and contrast, I have riveted the fixings onto the roll bar itself. I have heard say that the rivet holes weaken the roll bar but I'm not so sure... 

6 hours ago, Ali and Gail said:

Half hood with easy access zips, half doors and wind deflectors. It's the future.

+1 for this version, been really glad of it lately 

10 hours ago, Rory's Dad said:

Just to compare and contrast, I have riveted the fixings onto the roll bar itself. I have heard say that the rivet holes weaken the roll bar but I'm not so sure... 

That’s just what I was thinking of , do you have any pictures please 

Hi here’s the half hood fitted there are 2 straps down to half turn fasteners behind the seats , 2 to poppers on the rear panel and 2 down to poppers on the roll bar sides

if you need better pics give me a shout

6C4BFB9A-6091-41CF-AC17-0969D712573B.jpeg

43E3D1F4-2667-4B2E-BE85-1896D18A41B9.jpeg

1956DB75-FCC6-475C-B957-FA873457E2CC.jpeg

+1 for the SBFS 1/2 hood with the zips and bag, worth every penny and have to say GREAT quality 

IMG_3683.thumb.JPG.e85a03071a9219b090a5008122f8976c.JPG

• Like 1

How is the rear attached, your previous photos seemed to show fixing points on the rear bulkhead near the harness mounts, does it use these as well as the ones at the rear and side of the tub?

(Sorry to bombard with questions! Just plan to change from a ZK to FW tub over winter, so half Hood from SBfS will be on the wish list!)

It's the same pop-stud riveted on the the bodywork Dave, just difficult to get at with a drill, so locating the best place is a bit of a compromise

IMG_3682.thumb.JPG.668333fb9ab05555049c535f5884a39c.JPG

Rear strap

IMG_3775.thumb.JPG.d75dabe631ef936247378b6491eb3512.JPG

Strap off

IMG_3776.thumb.JPG.d75cdc5ca9a2c74a9a0641b546c2e5bc.JPG

22 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

How is the rear attached, your previous photos seemed to show fixing points on the rear bulkhead near the harness mounts, does it use these as well as the ones at the rear and side of the tub?

(Sorry to bombard with questions! Just plan to change from a ZK to FW tub over winter, so half Hood from SBfS will be on the wish list!)

My SBFS half hod does, pair of straps fitted to hood where it sits on rollbar, then down to half turn fittings on the rear tub return above the bulkhead. Belt and braces approach with the side and rear straps as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.b85b9bc923b6e90fa9e54c606b5f84a0.jpeg

Thanks, that’s how I was assuming it would fit!

You look like you have the taller windscreen, (usually standard on the Sport 250) did you have to order anything different to use with that roll bar, or did you just give the two strap dimensions as normal?

1 minute ago, AdgeC said:

My SBFS half hod does, pair of straps fitted to hood where it sits on rollbar, then down to half turn fittings on the rear tub return above the bulkhead. Belt and braces approach with the side and rear straps as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.b85b9bc923b6e90fa9e54c606b5f84a0.jpeg

Cool, that’s what I thought I saw in the other photo. I like belt and braces approaches, specially as it means it’s still quite solidly attached if you need to undo the two rearmost straps to open the boot, or to lengthen them for luggage on the rear deck.

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary Just a thought, if you're going for FW bodywork, you might want to consider a 250 rollbar, I hadn't realised until comparing with another FW, the roll bar is 2" taller as well as the windscreen. Recollect you've mentioned not liking have your head "flapped" on with standard height rollbar, and half hood.

Given that it’s there for cosmetic reasons, I prefer the proportions of the existing bar, and yes, the hood/head proximity is a concern.

Im getting a regular hood anyway, so would need to try an FW with half Hood before deciding. If it felt a bit close with the regular 250 bar, then the older style one wouldn’t work at all.

I made a frame for my current RAC half hood, out of an FW hood frame, that puts it at the old RAC bar height and let me keep using it. Worst case would be going down that route again.