SDV Registration - Top Tip

Mooch

My Mazda SDV Westfield is up for sale, so I'm taking the private plate off.  It's been a pretty simple process through the DVLA on line but I was expecting to get a random 1990 'G' plate to put on it, as that's what it would have had when first registered after IVA because of the age of the donor car on which it was based.  However, I put the private plate on from the off so the car never had an 'old' reg no for the Westfield.  I was therefore very surprised (and rather pleased in terms of saleability) to get a '61' plate issued as a replacement, reflecting the year of first registration as a Westfield.  I can only think that this is because there wasn't a previous plate to re-allocate to mine as the donor car had effectively left the system.

Therefore, top tip - get a cheap dateless plate when first registering your SDV based Westy and at some point take it off using the on-line route through DVLA to get a plate registered to the year of IVA/registration.  I suspect if I had gone to a DVLA office, it wouldn't have had the same result.

@KugaWestie had similar with his SDV when transferring a personalised plate on.  IIRC he suceeded in putting a plate on that was of a newer year than that allocated to him by the DVLA when it was first registered.

4 hours ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

@KugaWestie had similar with his SDV when transferring a personalised plate on.  IIRC he suceeded in putting a plate on that was of a newer year than that allocated to him by the DVLA when it was first registered.

And I presume he's taken it off now he's sold his Westy.  It would be interesting to see if he got his old donor dated plate back or a 2012 one.

30 minutes ago, Mooch said:

And I presume he's taken it off now he's sold his Westy.  It would be interesting to see if he got his old donor dated plate back or a 2012 one.

@Mark (smokey mow) is correct. I transferred a "T" reg onto my "M" reg on the westy.

The car was registered in 2012, so in DVLA logic although the car carried an age related plate (1994) the fact it was registered in 2012 meant that I was allowed to put a plate on it as long as it did not make it look younger than 2012. 

When I took the plate back off at sale, I got the original plate back that the westy was registered under, which was different to the donor vehicle but from the same year

• Like 1

Thanks, Gary, I think that proves the point I made in the OP.  By putting on a dateless plate from the off, there's nothing to fall back on regarding donor dated plates, so it's a way of getting a plate current with the year of IVA/registration when using a donor vehicle.    

Interesting - I have a Sierra SDV SEiW - the donor was a 1988, so I have an 'E' plate on the car. However, the Westie was registered in 2004, so I wonder if I could get a later plate

4 hours ago, NigelO said:

Interesting - I have a Sierra SDV SEiW - the donor was a 1988, so I have an 'E' plate on the car. However, the Westie was registered in 2004, so I wonder if I could get a later plate

As you already have the E plate from 88, I suspect that  will be it - whatever goes on now and is taken off later, you have the E plate to revert to. The loophole I think I've found is that by putting on a dateless plate on first registration, when that comes off at some future date, DVLA have no dated plate to refer to, so revert to the year of registration as a Westfield for the new registration plate.   Gary was able to put a newer personalised plate on, but reverted back when that plate was removed. 

Ah - I see - damn, that narrows my choices for a personal plate then....

2 hours ago, NigelO said:

Ah - I see - damn, that narrows my choices for a personal plate then....

Not really. Using the above logic you should be able to put any plate on up to 2004, it's just that when you take it off again you'll be given back an E reg.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

Not really. Using the above logic you should be able to put any plate on up to 2004, it's just that when you take it off again you'll be given back an E reg.

Hmmm - I might make a call to DVLA to find out what my options are

Is this likely to have an impact on emissions come MOT time? I'm assuming a G reg would have much looser requirements than a 61 plate? 

My recent SDV registration noted the 'IVA as visual test only' and stated first registration as 2018 with 'reassembled using parts some or all of which not new'.  Good thing is no MOT for 3 years,, a clear statement on visual test only,  and now the possibility of keeping the private plate and getting an 18 plate if I sell it on - happy days

https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/123396-jonjh1964s-xi-build/?page=12

9 hours ago, AndrewOBW said:

Is this likely to have an impact on emissions come MOT time? I'm assuming a G reg would have much looser requirements than a 61 plate? 

Emmisions are engine related at IVA and will be stated on V5. Will be BET standard at most. 

• Like 3