Morris

Morris' XI Build

DIY-Si

I'm now trying to figure out a way to add it, yet retain the period look I'm after......

Maybe a hidden flywheel trigger, rather than a crank wheel, like the K series used?

Morris

I don't have much experience of the system (yet) and what is possible, but could the starter ring teeth be used instead by looking through a hole in the bell housing? The number of teeth on the ring and the lack of a missing tooth might cause an issue though?

A trigger wheel between the gearbox output shaft and the propshaft would be an elegant solution provided the gear ratios could be compensated for in the ECU... Or could there even be room on the gearbox input shaft inside the bell housing?

It's getting late and I think my imagination is getting the better of me...!!!

The Megajolt ECU and the Ford EDIS can be hidden under the scuttle panel, with the coil pack being set into the top panel of the driver's footwell (as per Simon M's car) and then disguised with a small folded panel to cover it?

DIY-Si

The k series used a set of holes cut into the flywheel face as the trigger pattern, so something similar would be easy to replicate. As you say, the rest is smoke and mirrors. The trick will be hiding the lack of a dizzy nicely.....

Also, sorry for derailing your build diary!

corsechris

The crank position sensor needs to be directly connected to the crank at all times, and there needs to be some way to determine TDC. This can only be done at the crank or the cam. Crank is better as it’s more accurate, although it is possible to build the trigger into the distributor but you sacrifice accuracy and consistency if you do that due to backlash and the reduction ratio of crank to cam.

Flywheel or crank pulley are the most common. Some use a disc of “fingers” attached to the back face of the flywheel, some use a sequence of holes drilled into it. A trigger wheel behind the crank pulley is probably the most common aftermarket method I would think. Behind is better than in front as it's less visually obvious but more importantly, doesn't impede access to the fanbelt and allows for a shorter and more stout sensor mounting bracket.

ETA My first foray into aftermarket EFI was on a 4.2 RV8. Given that the OEM system used an electronic distributor to provide sparks and trigger the fuel injection, I decided it was simplest to copy that idea, so I converted an old SD1 dizzy to trigger the Emerald and to, well, distribute the sparks. It worked well enough but did require setup to get the timing right. Still had to mess about with timing lights to do that. Another potential problem with this is timing scatter - always some play in a dizzy even if you lock it up. A crank trigger is the better solution, but you could always keep the dizzy and use that if you want that period look, although how that would look with the wasted spark pack is another thing of course. You are stuck with that though with the Megajolt of course. Unless you could put the coil pack in the dizzy cap somehow???  I think the way the Megajolt uses the EDIS is clever, but it does lack some flexibility for the odd occasions where you might want to retain a single coil & dizzy. Unless it's possible to somehow use the EDIS with a single coil??  Dunno.

• Like 1

jonjh1964
On 10/09/2020 at 21:47, Morris said:

Yes, agreed. I've looked through the maps but was unsure which one to use (mine is a 1310). I guess so long as it is a reasonable base map, the engine will run well enough for it to be tweaked on the fly.

If you look at the various a series maps there’s not a lot of difference between them.

Morris
13 hours ago, DIY-Si said:

Also, sorry for derailing your build diary!

That's ok, it is relevant and it gives the mind some exercise!

Morris
8 hours ago, jonjh1964 said:

If you look at the various a series maps there’s not a lot of difference between them.

Yes, I've just looked as I've also loaded the software and labelled up all my wires ready for making up the cables.

I forgot that a 12V supply is needed and not just USB power from the computer to load up maps etc., so my fun came to an abrupt end 🙄

Morris

Changing the subject, I've been looking for a suitable Eleven replica steering wheel (to fit post IVA) for a long time now, being put off almost having to remortgage the house to buy a £300 (plus boss) Jacob Engineering (rather tasty) replica.

I took a punt today after having seen something suitable on Facebook marketplace (yes I know!) described as a steering wheel from a 1960's racing car.

Further enquiries revealed that it was 12" in diameter and not dished, with a red leather covered rim.

Upon collecting it this evening, the seller told me that it was found in a box of bits that was cleared out from Colin Chapman's workshop, and was fitted to one of his cars. At this stage in the conversation, the seller did not know I was building an XI.

The photos don't do the wheel justice. The stitching is very neat with the seam pointing outwards as in the Jacob wheel. The red leather is smooth, and the padding is good underneath.

It is clearly not an Eleven wheel as its diameter is too small at 12", and there are holes in the spokes.

Could it be an original prototype wheel for a 'Six' or for a racing car, or could the whole thing just be a dangler and bull storey? Btw, it weighs next to nothing!

None the less, it'll be perfect for my XI, and it cost me just £50 - I just need a boss now!

Anyone have any historic Lotus knowledge who can shed some light on this?

IMG_20200915_215448.thumb.jpg.3208214ffd50dd55e1140424a5c25f28.jpg

IMG_20200915_215500.thumb.jpg.9f92733b6ab9b602f1b9fd8201d198d1.jpg

Morris.

• Like 5

Morris

Sorry, for 'dangler', read 'dangler' - genuinly auto text taking control..😯!

Morris

And again - I give up...!!!!!

Dan_G
22 minutes ago, Morris said:

🤣🤣🤣

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

What a great find -well done, Morris! 

Slotted screws (not Posidrive, Hex Head, or Torx) for the screws for the period look when bolting the wheel to your boss.

Simon

• Thanks 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary
10 hours ago, Morris said:

It’s the Forum, not you, the naughty word filter had some interesting substitutions programmed in years ago by one of my predecessors to try and encourage members to avoid some of the routine name calling and slanging matches of the day...

• Like 1

Morris

Mildly embarrassing, but it certainly made me laugh though - a lot!