Motorpoint, anyone bought from them before?

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

I have managed to sell all the cars in the household, with the exception of the Westfield. It all happened a bit quick and it has left us without a daily driver. Not to worry, I have found a few cars that match our requirements, one of these cars is from a company called Motorpoint. Has anyone got any experience of them? 

Thanks, Julie

I've used them Julie to buy a small car for one of my lads. They do charge a fee c. £100 and like all dealers will try to sell you overpriced gap insurance and body protection etc. But overall it was an OK experience and car was a good un at the right price. Just check that whatever you're buying is UK spec and not from Malta or somewhere

My best pal is a salesman at the Derby branch. I've bought from him in the past and referred a number of friends and relatives too. Everyone has always had a very positive experience including myself. Of course the usual rules apply, have a good look over the car first. Some of the stock may have been ex rental cars etc so that's something to keep in mind and check prior to agreeing a purchase if it bothers you. They operate on a high volume, low profit margin philosophy which is why the vehicles are so cheap.

I bought a TT from them a few years back.  The car was fine all the way through my years of ownership, but the sales pressure to buy additional insurances was really annoying.  I had to tell the sales guy that if he didn't back off then I'd walk.  That did the trick.  

Got a couple of car's from the Derby branch a few years ago 

As others have said check that it's a UK car and be firm on the hard sell of extras

I'd buy from there again

Not sure what age of car you're looking at @Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO but it's worth adding in the benefits on offer from manufacturers in the used market. As an example, the same two cars, one at Motorpoint and one at a franchised dealership - the Motorpoint one may be cheaper by anything from £200 to £1000 for the same car, but you get NOTHING included, no warranty, no roadside, no MOT protection etc. Whereas that car at the franchised dealer starts more expensive, but may include all those elements. Just worth doing some research. A Motorpoint warranty can cost upwards of £1000, so it's worth factoring that in, if that is important to you. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Thank you for the advice everyone. It is between a main dealer one and a Motorpoint one at the mo. The Motorpoint one is cheaper, but I prefer the colour of the main dealer one, so that is very interesting @BCF At least I feel a bit more confident on the Motorpoint one too. It's decision day tomorrow, when I get to actually see the main dealer one, if I like it, if it is as good as they say, I will bring it home. Fingers crossed and at least its not going to rain.

Most the cars at MP are very new and still under manufacturing warentee anyway.   Last year I bought a car from car giant in London.   Same pressured sale of nano coatings and insurances.   Non of which I agreed to.   When I got the car home I found the car from new had an extended service plan.   It’s had 2 main dealer services free since which has pleased me and has another few months manufactures warrentee even now. 

Plus you should never pay the asking price , always haggle.,

If they wont budge remind them that its Sept 1st  and every time a new plate is introduced it pushes down prices on most cars :t-up:

They are pretty good - only consider cars on display at the depot you are at though 

purchased three cars from them get the years 

I bought from the main dealer in the end. Motorpoint were nice to deal with, had a good choice of cars, priced competitively, but they do need to leave the hard sell on GAP, coatings and warranties until you actually decide to buy a car. Perry's Mazda at Barnsley were the polar opposite regarding a hard sell, they were nice guys. The car sold itself really, it was purchased new 2 years ago from them by one careful lady owner, and she traded it back in for an anniversary MX5 a few weeks ago. With 6000miles on the clock it was the best value and in the best condition. At Motorpoint the cars history seems to get lost as they haul them around the country.

I got a full tank of fuel, a years warranty, a service and because I was buying in August I will be sent a dashcam from head office, don't think MP offer that.

Interestingly the salesman at Perry's asked me if I was aware of the very active and local MX5 Owners Club. It would be nice if the Westfield Factory and Toybox could do the same for our club.

It was a nice drive home back through the Peak District!!

40461439_1335744933223233_5650507705316540416_n.jpg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

purchased new 2 years ago from them by one careful lady owner, and she traded it back in for an anniversary MX5 a few weeks ago

You of all people, shouldn't have fell for this line :d:d It's probably been round the ring 3000 times with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Schmitz driving it :p Did they seal the deal with Cake?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No, no it's true, honestly, she even left her driving licence in with the car paperwork. Does make me laugh though, I bought my mark 1 specifically for taking on the track, and then sold it smiling sweetly as though butter wouldn't melt, I don't look like a boy racer though do I?

Got a coffee, no biscuits, no cake, umph. Lots of cake tomorrow though, eh, Mr BP :bc:

• Like 2

Has no one picked up on the obvious yet!!! She’s only gone and let Glen have a drive of the Westie:o or did she?  Have fun tomorrow guys ,I’m afraid we can’t make it as working again:bangshead: see you soon Andy and Becky 

• Haha 2

We bought an MX5 5 years ago and joined the local club (South West Midlands area) at the end of 2014.  Good club and had some fun with them.  Lot's of drives and shows and even a couple of jaunts abroad (one to Denmark).  Track work too.  Bit older than the usual Westfield crowd though (but so are we!)

• Like 1