Wanted: Westfield - Bike Engined or Ecoboost 1.6

TomS

Does anyone know this car?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6231698041/permalink/10155920202768042/?sale_post_id=10155920202768042

Said he would sell a rolling chassis for £8k if I wasn't interested in the engine/gearbox.

£8000 vs £15000 for the Duratec one, could get an Ecoboost 1.6 hybrid turbos for the difference!

1 minute ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Very well known on here. 

In a good or a bad way? :p

Good I’d say!

No personal knowledge, but do a search and info should be available - from all accounts a seriously quick car. 

Paul’s a good guy. Made me loads of bits.

Not sure on the love of the ECO Boost unit, the Mazda cars are just as good really with more parts and less faf.

I’d go for Bens over a home brew eco boost. 

Turbo 7’s are a dirty word though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen W said:

Paul’s a good guy. Made me loads of bits.

Not sure on the love of the ECO Boost unit, the Mazda cars are just as good really with more parts and less faf.

I’d go for Bens over a home brew eco boost. 

Turbo 7’s are a dirty word though. 

I’d prefer a high revving NA over a turbo (which is why I was originally originally limiting myself to a BEC) but the only real options are S2000 or an engine with copious amounts of money thrown at it…which could mean huge bills if something goes wrong.

I’ve seen a few people comment on the 1.6 Ecoboost running hybrid turbos having very good throttle response and they’re happy to run high power on standard internals. And they’re not shed builtds as SBD sell a package too.

Well Bens or the BEC on racecars direct are a fine bet then. Both will sorted. 

Or build your own for track work. That’s the best bit. It’s why I’ve done 5 now.

id say your best bet is to go along to your local meet and get a few passenger rides. there are so many different pros for each engine. even a standard zetec can hold its own agains most things on a track

Having had a BEC and also an ecoboost (granted its bigger brother) For 99% track work as you describe i would 100% go for a bec. The CBR1000 seems the weapon of choice at the minute. near 200bhp, 13krpm and a built in 6 speed sequential with low weight. My Bec car was loads more suited to track work and it was 'only' a carbed R1 engine with 140 ish bhp. I reckon it would have whipped the tail of the sport 250 round a tight track. Granted on the straights the sport 250 would sail past but straights are boring!

Granted the 1.6 ecoboost is a cracking lightweight engine but when you add in all the extra cooling system, intercooler, pipework etc the weight gap gets even bigger. Also if your looking at big power dont under estimate the costs of the install, new sump, ecu, intercooler package and also what gearbox can cope with the higher torque and bhp of the 1.6 ecoboost? especially if you planning on bigger power.

27 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Having had a BEC and also an ecoboost (granted its bigger brother) For 99% track work as you describe i would 100% go for a bec. The CBR1000 seems the weapon of choice at the minute. near 200bhp, 13krpm and a built in 6 speed sequential with low weight. My Bec car was loads more suited to track work and it was 'only' a carbed R1 engine with 140 ish bhp. I reckon it would have whipped the tail of the sport 250 round a tight track. Granted on the straights the sport 250 would sail past but straights are boring!

Granted the 1.6 ecoboost is a cracking lightweight engine but when you add in all the extra cooling system, intercooler, pipework etc the weight gap gets even bigger. Also if your looking at big power dont under estimate the costs of the install, new sump, ecu, intercooler package and also what gearbox can cope with the higher torque and bhp of the 1.6 ecoboost? especially if you planning on bigger power.

I agree with this speaking with Dave gemzoe at gemzoe Motorsport a few weeks ago a decent 1.6 ecoboost transplant is £8k from him you can kill 4 bike engines for that money 

3 hours ago, syman84 said:

I agree with this speaking with Dave gemzoe at gemzoe Motorsport a few weeks ago a decent 1.6 ecoboost transplant is £8k from him you can kill 4 bike engines for that money 

Or 80 mazda engines:p

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Ben (bunje) said:

Or 80 mazda engines:p

Spot in the money Ben. I’ve said it before but if I was building again it would be a Mazda.

Engines and gearboxes are cheap enough to be almost consumables.  

On top of that it doesn’t cost a huge amount to get 200+ bhp with a supercharger or 300+ bhp with a turbo as @KugaWestie can no doubt verify. 

• Like 1

On 29/09/2018 at 16:24, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Spot in the money Ben. I’ve said it before but if I was building again it would be a Mazda.

Engines and gearboxes are cheap enough to be almost consumables.  

On top of that it doesn’t cost a huge amount to get 200+ bhp with a supercharger or 300+ bhp with a turbo as @KugaWestie can no doubt verify. 

When I had an actual MX-5 Turbo I ran with open diffs, they WERE a consumable! 

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.