Wanted: Westfield - Bike Engined or Ecoboost 1.6

TomS

Looking for a track ready bike engined Westfield. 

Must be caged, LSD, decent brakes and most of all very well looked after. I'm not looking for anything that needs work on it. It will be used on track 99% of the time but that doesn't mean it shouldn't look brand spanking :)

Hayabusa or ZZR as I'm looking 190hp minimum.Seems to be a few on eBay but none have a full cage.

I'm now opening up to include an Ecoboost 1.6 powered car.

Budget up to £14,000 for the right car.

Looks like everyone is holding on to the good cars then! It's the end of summer soon, you don't need your Westy any more, sell it to me :d

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now widening the search to include 1.6 Ecoboost builds.

If anyone has something suitable please get in touch!

As per your other thread... https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263919678954

Would strongly recommend going to view that, its so close (geographically) and a perfect opportunity to have a look over (and maybe a ride in) a good BEC. I really don't think you need as much power as you think :t-up:

I was very close to buying it before I started my latest build...

Thanks for the link!

I’m looking for a non-Q plate and something with more power/toque as I’m coming from track cars with up to 400hp/tonne. 

I’ve missed out on a couple so they are d finitely out there, hopefully coming to the end of the year there will be more up for sale soon.

27 minutes ago, TomS said:

non-Q plate

Why? Westies on a Q are no problem for anything other than vanity plates. 

Edit - especially if it’s 99% track use. A number plate makes no difference to lap times :)

Q is not a “devalued” marker on a kit car as we always buy on spec and build quality. In fact it’s an advantage come mot time for emissions and lights etc. 

• Like 1

Don't forget to factor in gearing when doing bhp/ton numbers :t-up:

Appreciate you are used to M3s etc, but a car with 300bhp/ton but geared to 125mph will be a lot quicker than one that's 400bhp/ton and geared to 180mph. You don't need a lot of power to go quick in a light car!

Not sure if you've been to Blyton, but even with 130bhp and A048s a sub 500kg car will easily lap in 1:11ish, for example.

I'd offer to take you out with 'only' 300bhp/ton and scare the **** out of you, but sadly my car is barely more than a chassis at the mo :laugh:

Perhaps wasting my breath (fingers?) but Ross's car is definitely worth a look.

27 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Why? Westies on a Q are no problem for anything other than vanity plates. 

Edit - especially if it’s 99% track use. A number plate makes no difference to lap times :)

Q is not a “devalued” marker on a kit car as we always buy on spec and build quality. In fact it’s an advantage come mot time for emissions and lights etc. 

It was due to the personalised plate but I would never rule out a great spec car for that reason alone.

18 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Appreciate you are used to M3s etc, but a car with 300bhp/ton but geared to 125mph will be a lot quicker than one that's 400bhp/ton and geared to 180mph. You don't need a lot of power to go quick in a light car!

Not sure if you've been to Blyton, but even with 130bhp and A048s a sub 500kg car will easily lap in 1:11ish, for example.

I'd offer to take you out with 'only' 300bhp/ton and scare the **** out of you, but sadly my car is barely more than a chassis at the mo :laugh:

I've driven Atom's and Caterhams previously so I have some (minor) experience of lightweight cars on track. I guess it's all just a personal preference and from a few other cars I've seen I wouldn't be paying £12k for a 14 year old R1 powered Westfield.

All helpful comments though, much appreciated and I hope you, or anyone, doesn't feel that I'm just batting them away :)

• Like 1

Fair play, enjoy the hunt! Final tip, remember that the value of a kit car is more more about the quality of build than the spec sheet. I've fallen foul of that one before and the 'cheap' £12k car with mega spec suddenly became a £19k car by the time I was done sorting it out, and still only worth £12k...

Cars known to / built by certain clued-up club members are always worth considering even if the spec list doesn't tick all your boxes. Bolt on bits are easy to change, a dog rough original build is a nightmare to sort out.

• Thanks 1

Yup! There's a car I've been looking at but it has some "small" issues that are quickly totting up in to the thousands!

I'm hoping to buy one that is owned by a forum member as I've had previous cars via other forums and always been impressed with the attention to detail real enthusiasts spend on a car.

Of course it’s your money and your choice, but definitely buy on spec rather than age I’d say. A 16 plate car often may be nowhere near as good as a 25 year old Q that has had the full blown ‘Deluxe’ Trigger’s Broom treatment!

Also, getting a “well known to the forum” car is a good idea as you can often find the build/modification history on here and review the way it’s been built and cared for. 

Good hunting! :yes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2018 at 09:14, AdamR said:

Ha true this. My old 150bhp K series Westie (285bhp/tonne) could do 1:13's on 185 section Nankang NS2-R's. 

The new one with 305bhp (590bhp/tonne) can just about get into the 1:06's on 205 section AO48r's. 

I did a 1:09 in a nearly bone standard (bar stripping) VX220 2.2 (180bhp/tonne)..... 

1 hour ago, Stephen W said:

The new one with 305bhp (590bhp/tonne) can just about get into the 1:06's on 205 section AO48r's. 

That's rapid, would love to see a video of that :t-up:

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.