SPAX Shocks and springs length

wscc101field

Westfield SEI Fitted with SPAX adjustable shocks.  I'm after some technical assistance please. I have and issue with my front suspension with the car lower on the nearside that the offside, the springs are both sides are the same length when the car is on jacked and when i lower the car they are the same length. When I depress the suspension on both sides and allow to settle the near side spring is 1.5cm shorter, this is effecting the clearance to my swept wings and contact is made under certain road conditions. Any help or advice would be helpful. Should I replace the springs and shocks?

Westfiels SEI built by me in 1990 with still original SPAX shocks and spring set.

Sounds to me like one of your shocks is not holding pressure

@Damperman is your man, but I think he may be on his hols for a few days iirc....Mart.

I’m not saying the dampers are not tired after 28 years but...   the dampers are not siezed as you can compress them.   And after 28 years I doubt if they have enought internal sealing to actually hold the suspension down indefinitely they should eventually allow the car to reach normal ride height.   

A bent shaft might prevent a damper extending .   

The front it not insulated from the rear so if the front is leaning so will the rear be.. unless the chassis is out of line.  On that line thought the rear could be set up unlevel. 

Then cars are corner weighted to account for just having a driver spring seats are positioned to unload the loaded corner .   In short let’s say the rear right is 80 kg heavier then the rear left the rear left spring seat could be raised to take more load.  That would push the front right down.  And he chaos begins! 

What happens when you sit in the car?

Ps...  the old ones didn’t have gas pressure like the Spax copies gaz, Avo & Protec.     Like all performance modern dampers Spax gas pressurise the dampers.   Even so with the outward extension force of a gas pressured damper is very little. Another comment is it could be springs tired.   

A 4 bolt test would be to change the coil over assemblies left to right and see if the issue follows. 

The best way to prevent wheels hitting arches etc is to limit the travel.   In compression use a bumpstop/ packers to bring it to a controlled stop before nasty things happen.