Curborough Speed Series Spectating, Sat 25th Aug, 12.00

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

3 hours ago, Rednop1 said:

I may have a ride up to curbs Saturday if the weather is ok 

sure I can something westfield related to drive 

Excellent. If you can't find a car, I'm sure you can build one in time :p

• Haha 1

Im hoping to be there too, although I need to back in Nottingham by 3pm so may have to miss the cake :(

• Like 1

It's currently soggy in Stoke-on-Trent, however I still aim to be there before 12!

It’s alternating between sun and cloud here in Rugeley, just five miles from Curborough. We’ve had a couple of light showers, but not even enough to make the roads properly wet

Unless it hammers it down in the next hour, I should be there by 12-ish

• Like 1

Curborough greeted us with light showers, but the Speed Series were well prepared with their car anoraks

DSC05326.JPG

We just missed PaulVX, although we managed to wave at him as he left and we arrived. We briefly saw Ian as he had to leave early too. Had we worn the wrong deodrant? Scott came in his Honda powered car with it's now new stage 2 clutch, after Donington ate his standard one. It was a quick hello to Jeff as he ran off to eat his bacon sandwich and we bumped into the newbies, Martyn and Sue, well they are oldies really but we haven't seen them for ages. We had met up with Michael and Martin from the Burton Car Club, gathered Scott and went down into the paddocks where Martyn and Sue already were. Scott was quickly introduced to Matt Haynes who soon whisked him off to meet Garry Bunn, a future speed series competitor in the making.

Chris arrived with his daughter, Leah, and son-in-law Steve in their new to them,  Honda S2000. Steve is a big fan of the Honda engine.

DSC05332.JPG

Well he was in good company there then. We showed him Scotts car, also Honda powered.

DSC05333.JPG

Next minute, off they went for a little test drive.

DSC05334.JPG

Same engine, car now weighs 700kg instead of 1300kg. It just goes and goes, I don't think Steve stopped smiling all day, he clearly enjoyed it and a big thank you goes to @Scotty72 for the ride.

I was parked with Michaels Maserati, which is real, they all seem to drive replica Ferraris in the Burton Car Club and he normally brings the Dino. Suddenly there was a lot of shouting STOP STOP and 'clatter' an idiot marshall drove his car into Martyns rear wing. He then nearly hit the Jag as he parked up, almost hitting the fence behind him too. So, my Speed Series friends, if you get it wrong on track, you are relying on this guy to call the air ambulance and not let you bleed to death, good luck with that one.

DSC05336.JPG

After saying our goodbye's to Nigel, who had bought one of his super dooper cameras, and to Scott, we set off on my route. What else could possibly go wrong?

Well I was quite pleased that I didn't get lost, as I didn't know the area at all, but after a short while the 3 red cars in my mirror disappeared. I had driven over the large, potato looking rock in the road by lining up my wheels and going straight over it. Martyn did the same, only, BANG. He had stopped just to check everything was ok, thankfully it was, his car must be lower than the others. Hey, ho, on we went, over Blithfield Reservoir 

DSC05353.JPG

Into the National Speed Limit bit and a long straight road, suddenly my mirror empties again. My roof bag and come undone at one end and the non-slip mat had flown off, Leah managed to pick it up for me, thank you. We arrived at Denstone Hall Cafe, in one piece, and alive for which we were amazed at.

DSC05362.JPG

We all enjoyed a nice relaxing lunch, no dramas, many Lemon Meringues, and desserts.

DSC05363.JPG

Chris and Steve followed us back through the Peak District, which was bathed in the most clear air and lovely sunshine. The roads were nice and dry so when everybody turned off into Ca**ington Water, just as we got to the twisties, we had lots of buzzy fun. Steve will soon be working out how to write the Honda S2000 off without damaging the engine and gear box, it's got DONOR CAR written all over it, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TOO!

Steve's car and Chris's car parked at Curborough, but can you see what is wrong with Chris's car, wink, wink

DSC05341.JPG

• Like 1

I had a sunny and soggy journey to Curborough:03263B8A-69FC-4319-B6F1-D3BD7769F1B6.jpeg.3071158e26c15bfbf442f794f45ee259.jpeg

Sorry, I had to rudely leave to meet a friend who'd popped into the UK briefly for a trip to the Peaks and North Wales. I had a great 1 car peak district blat to Baslow over some great, quiet roads after I left the A38.

image.png.6efa56b671a5090bcd6bbb0cbe2ea026.png

My car was missing it’s normal Westie friends at the Wheatsheaf:

5EBD82D2-5B47-4F9B-92C0-0BAFFCFAD822.thumb.jpeg.6ca945fdea55c6c590919c5ed3f8c1f6.jpeg

Sun stayed out in the Peaks:

B50C66BF-632E-4757-855C-26E9C7C00F0D.jpeg.5c7a13c8a03a9cd5638d3f58b086dd8f.jpeg

I took my friend's travel partner for a ride first and we had a great clear run through '13 bends' and then headed for Frogatt's Edge.

Happy Passenger:

C52F3610-5D61-4BEB-BD78-CC40D50CEBC9.thumb.jpeg.88dd4e9feace1adbc5aa299e8c0e6d4a.jpegPassengers where then swapped and another quick ride round and then I headed for home and they headed for North Wales.

Sorry to hear about the damage @Martyn Vann - Joint Warwickshire AO I hope it's soon fixed. 

Looks like I missed a fun afternoon with you guys, but will catch up next Sat.

• Like 2