MBE mapping box, (serial type)

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

Just unearthed a real blast from the past while sorting out a cupboard; one of the renowned Steppenwolf’s MBE Mapping Boxes. (Steppenwolf a long standing but now ex club member, wrote many fantastic guides and how to’s over the years, along with producing items like this)

22593FBC-7D0B-486B-9876-9B565780B497.jpeg

317CE2B3-FCA4-4019-9ECE-06480A59436C.jpeg

The mapping boxes work in conjunction with a laptop running Easimap 5 (and possibly Easimap 4) software, to talk “live” to MBE’s earlier serial port equipped ecu’s, such as the 967.

As you can see from the close up, with the ecu put into mapping mode, via the laptop, you can then set the two knobs to be in either course or fine trim mode, and use them to make live adjustments to the fuel and ignition cells on the maps. Once you’re happy with the adjustment for that cell, tap the space bar, and the software will save the setting in a file of adjustments, that once done with your mapping session, you can use the laptop again, to merge into the actual fuel and ignition maps.

Its much more intuitive in use than using the laptop keyboard to nudge cells up and down, especially if road mapping.

I can’t recall what these sold for originally, though the SBD/MBE versions were quite expensive.

£15 plus postage and it’s yours!

(PS please don’t pm me asking which ecu’s it works with! I used it on a 967, I know it worked on other similar generation ecu’s, but I don’t know which. It DOESN’T work with the later Can Bus connected ecu’s and Easimap 6 Though, I can tell you that much!)

I will take this Dave please 

Thanks 

Great syman!

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.