Wildlife Advice

Kevin (Mr T)

For a while now our dog has been staring through the gaps in our decking.

This morning I saw this little guy having a look around before going back under.

20180817_072944.thumb.jpg.b7257aaccb41c8b3aa8db8fd2ca341ca.jpg

I thought it was a small squirrel, but it has a thin tail.

Rat or something else?

More than likely a rat, we had loads under our decking. That's an unusual stance for a rat though, as you note, very squirrell like.

It's as if one puts up a sign saying free luxury accommodation as soon as the decking goes in. Our two cats seem to have "dealt" with the rats as we rarely see them anymore; I guess they have moved on. However, they do bring in a few mice now and again so the decking is still home to wildlife.

A rat will have a thin tail, almost looks scaley, hence rattail file, mouse is smoother, squirrel bushier unless of course it has a problem (some do). Unusual for a squirrel to "live" under the decking but it could just have been visiting or has stored food there. Also, looks less squat than a squirrel would when sat like that.

My money is on a rat doing a squirrel/meerkat impression...

I can say that it not a glis glis because they have bushy tails and don't live in that part of the world. They are found only within a radius of Tring, or traditionally a triangle bounded by Beaconsfield, Aylesbury and High Wycombe. They are spreading outside that area now though. This one 'accidentally' stepped into an electronic rat trap in my shed.

sOWlaHV.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm, possible, it is Essex after all.

Entirely possible! Did you know there is an island on Loch Lomond that has wild wallabies?!

I'm not surprised the wallabies on the Loch Lomond island are wild! I'd be pretty cross too! :p I's bl**** cold up there compared with Australia.

• Haha 1

Quick google shows Glis Glis is also called the edible dormouse. Living just a few miles from High Wycombe I’ll get the BBQ on.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Route66 said:

Quick google shows Glis Glis is also called the edible dormouse. Living just a few miles from High Wycombe I’ll get the BBQ on.

I cannot vouch for the flavour but the local kites seem to like them when a dead one finds its way on to the garden wall! Astoundingly they can fly off with one - or a pigeon but a squirrel has to be eaten on the ground.