Rockingham Sold no events from the end of 2018

Simon Waterfall Syman84

1 hour ago, terry everall said:

another circuit lost??????

Where will you find a season opener for the speed series as good. 

Sorry but where does it say no events in 2019? To me it doesn't mention anything beyond the end of 2018 and states that everything will go ahead until then as planned. 2019 and beyond isn't even mentioned so we need more information..................

Sadly, only a matter of time ............. developers have been sniffing around for years ..... you only have to drive there to see the large number of new commercial and housing developments springing up for years .................. as good a track as it is to drive, its never attracted the spectator numbers or enough major events required, too many empty stands :down: ......... the site has been available for redevelopment sale for a few years :down:

I suspect there may be other (smaller) popular circuits with limited future, due to planning agreed for local housing nearby :down:

54 minutes ago, Mark Stanton said:

as good a track as it is to drive, its never attracted the spectator numbers or enough major events required, too many empty stands :down: 

I asked about the stands a few years ago, and was told most are unsafe.. condemned. They left them there for acoustic reasons.. keeping the noise in. It doesn't look good though at major meetings BTCC, GTs etc, when the stands in the back ground are all empty? 

The NASCAR thing is clearly a white elephant!

Just to confirm: :(

No racing will take place at Rockingham Speedway beyond the end of 2018, it has been confirmed.

The 300 acre site in Mitchell Road, once hailed as the future of British Motorsport, is believed to have been sold to an un-named investment company registered in the tax haven of St Helier, Jersey, and will become a major storage centre for defleet and auction vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2018 at 17:49, terry everall said:

The NASCAR thing is clearly a white elephant!

It happen when the track first opened but it was a rush to finish it in time the tarmac did not dry properly and was still drying under the top layer, in turn the cars could not grip the track and they never returned.

On 16/08/2018 at 13:16, Mark Stanton said:

Sadly, only a matter of time ............. developers have been sniffing around for years ..... you only have to drive there to see the large number of new commercial and housing developments springing up for years .................. as good a track as it is to drive, its never attracted the spectator numbers or enough major events required, too many empty stands :down: ......... the site has been available for redevelopment sale for a few years :down:

I suspect there may be other (smaller) popular circuits with limited future, due to planning agreed for local housing nearby :down:

I work around the corner from the track and I have heard that it will be used as car storage and the offices will be rented out.

also the land was part of the old steal works and the ground have been contaminated from that and not fit for housing, but I’m sure the will find a way around that.