type 9 and gear lever extension

SouthhamsChris

I'm just after some views really regarding using the westfield/rally design/mlr 135mm gear lever extension.

Does the modification make gear selection stiffer and more awkward to select gears?

is gear selection sensitive to positioning of the extension and the lever on the tolerance of the fixing bolt holes?

Many thanks

Chris

There may well be plenty of people satisfied with theirs, and may have got theirs working better than I did. I can only comment on my own experience: I had the Westfield supplied one for a few years and although it worked "ok" I always felt the operation was not as crisp as I'd like. Had a few selection issues, mainly when sprinting, and yes, they do need careful setting up with washers/shims underneath the gear lever.  In the end, I went to great lengths to move the engine back as far as I could do do away with the extension.  I have a bend in the lever and prefer this to the extension.  Another factor, not entirely unrelated is that the extensions only seem available for Type 9 gearboxes, and I changed to a 4-speed Rocket box. 

Mine was terrible with a ford shifter but great with a quaife built one. 

• Like 1

That could well be the difference between success and failure :)  I was using the standard Ford lever.

35 minutes ago, Stephen W said:

Mine was terrible with a ford shifter but great with a quaife built one. 

Agree on my old car it was terrible with a standard ford stick but with a quaife one was a nice tight clean gear change.

I use mine on a caterham six speed box... perfect 1st to 6th. Reverse can be iffy but manageable. 

Mine is fitted to a std type 9 case and std lever and it is tight and as smooth as the original box. No spacers, shimming or careful adjustment required. The key to success I believe is the saddle . I use a plastic one rather than brass as it feels smoother and is definitely quiter. I may have a photo of it.

Mines Its been always perfect with a slightly tuned FORD selector and a Brass saddle... Was the RD one I think. If assembled properly, works as good as a direct fit.