AdamR

The Lobster (88 SE Rebuild)

Rory's Dad

Stoneleigh?? But I guess Anglesey might be an alternative...

I'd love to see it up close and personal :love:

Prawn

Oh Holy crap those front wings are hideous! 

Nobody else will, but I am absolutely fine with saying that too. Because  I know why you've done it and I know you won't mind :p 

What an absolutely fantastic end result. The power, the weight its going to be incredible. 

I can't wait for the report after the first trackday! 

Steve (sdh2903)

Looks fantastic. Although as you've Instilled the 'weight is everything' with even my lardy A*** now and I cant forget about the plywood. I've even been googling 'lightweight plywood alternatives' this afternoon :laugh:

Meatibald Archpants

Thanks Ad! I hope that’s permanent marker!

Car looks really ****, but in a way that’s so so awesome. 

:love:

Chris Brading

73 Kilos!

Any possibility of removing some of this?

:p

AdamR
28 minutes ago, Chris Brading said:

73 Kilos!

Any possibility of removing some of this?

:p

:laugh: Maybe a kilo or two! 

12 hours ago, Archibald Meatpants said:

Thanks Ad! I hope that’s permanent marker!

Car looks really ****, but in a way that’s so so awesome. 

:love:

It is indeed permanent, and thanks, glad you think the car looks **** :d

12 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Looks fantastic. Although as you've Instilled the 'weight is everything' with even my lardy A*** now and I cant forget about the plywood. I've even been googling 'lightweight plywood alternatives' this afternoon :laugh:

Haha. I could do with some fancy honeycomb carbon sandwich stuff, but that wouldn't be allowed. Seriously though, it's all about the weight in a performance car. 

13 hours ago, Prawn said:

Oh Holy crap those front wings are hideous! 

Nobody else will, but I am absolutely fine with saying that too. Because  I know why you've done it and I know you won't mind :p 

What an absolutely fantastic end result. The power, the weight its going to be incredible. 

I can't wait for the report after the first trackday! 

Glad you agree they are hideous :d that's sort of become the whole point of the car in the end, like the Munter but next level.

Can you make Cadwell on 23rd May? We have a group booking going... Prawn vs Lobster Round 1 ;)

13 hours ago, Rory's Dad said:

Stoneleigh?? But I guess Anglesey might be an alternative...

I'd love to see it up close and personal :love:

Not planning on going to Stoneleigh sadly Martyn, I'm sure you'll see the car at some point though!

13 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Love the new bat wing front end!

As expected, some seriously impressive figures, I think you were possibly the only one in any doubt you’d hit the goals!

Thanks Dave, I thought you might appreciate the arches even though they are slightly butchered :laugh:

I was genuinely a bit 'worried' about the end weight, I know all the calculations added up but it didn't really seem possible. With Barney's old car known for being one of the lightest Westfields ever at 390kg, having quite a lot of posh parts on and only a half cage, I sort of can't believe I've got under that with all bog standard stuff!

maurici
12 minutes ago, AdamR said:

bog standard stuff!

• Haha 1

AdamR

Well, first failure on the car! I'd bought a proper exhaust mounting bobbin for the first time ever, but it seems it couldn't take the heat...

IMAG1213.thumb.jpg.39c49fca4432828cb38c81f4ac35436e.jpg

So went back to my Plan A method of a bolt and an offcut of silicone hose.

IMAG1214.thumb.jpg.366c1c4eaafe5e985bd6652cd5066f22.jpg

Had a bit of a panic when I realised the forecast for tomorrow was dire, and @Andrew pointed out that some TDOs insist on brake lights... so off came the scuttle (gave me a chance to improve the mounting system, it comes off in under a minute / 4 bolts now) and a wired in a fog light to the brake light switch, via my relay board.

Also added 5th/6th mounting point to the drivers harness and moved the splitter by an inch, so it sticks out more. I've decided this one will be experimental so I'm gonna chop it about a bit before doing a final design in something lighter.

Car is now on the trailer ready for Blyton tomorrow :d A dry forecast would have been nice to see what sort of lap times the car can do, but I love a bit of rain so it's all good, and should mean a bit less strain on all the components :t-up:

IMAG1215.thumb.jpg.5f15b77bbd8f3fc9b82dd641d2aad8b1.jpg

IMAG1216.thumb.jpg.b20f4eb2fd31bf26fca8483611d6e08d.jpg

• Like 8

Andrew

I think you might need a mask and snorkel. :marto:

• Like 1

AdamR

I'll see what I can dig out :yes: Quite fitting the Lobster will be underwater on it's first outing. Though the forecast is improving......

• Like 1

Oily Steve

@AdamR hope you have a great day tomorrow. Regardless of the weather I’m sure you and the Lobster will be very quick at Blyton!

Not sure if I have missed it earlier in the build thread but I wondered if you had considered flared engine bay panels or do you think they are not necessary?

AdamR

I did consider them, but waiting to see if necessary first. In my case I don't think so, with so much of the nose blocked off and then about 1/3 of what's left going out the bottom of the car (oil cooler duct), there's not much going into the engine bay!

Thanks for your message, but the big day was today!

At the moment... mixed feelings about it all. The car was faultless, apart from a dodgy cam sensor which only reared its head once the car got properly hot, so didn't show on the dyno. That meant an early bath.

All the left field things and custom tweaks worked exactly as intended. Auto blip perfect, hand clutch brilliant. No leaks, nothing came loose, nothing needed adjusting.

Car is FAST. Too fast, I can't drive it properly. Seriously. The mixed weather all day didn't help, with conditions constantly changing, but I never really felt on top of the car, like it could bite at any moment.

More blurb and video some other time, I'm shattered now!

• Like 2

Meatibald Archpants

Looking forward to blurb! 

Andrew

..and the vids. 

Dave (OnliestSmeg) -  Manchester AO

1 hour ago, Archibald Meatpants said:

Looking forward to blurb! 

36 minutes ago, Andrew said:

..and the vids. 

:yes: