AdamR

The Lobster (88 SE Rebuild)

Oily Steve
1 hour ago, AdamR said:

More bodywork / panelling today, perhaps another day's worth of work and it'll be track ready :d

Made up a floor tray (thanks @tkm_dave) and splitter, fitted those. Gap is to allow air out of the oil cooler duct. Splitter is on 12mm spacers from the chassis, so the very front of it is about 10mm higher than the lowest part of the sump. With some rake in the chassis they'll be about the same height I reckon.

IMAG1194.thumb.jpg.2864b9e61b387b88ed011d4a97d08a3c.jpg

And now some controversy :laugh:

This is a classic Westfield with a 1998 chassis, right? So it'd be rude not to use the original swept wings :rolleyes:

IMAG1198.thumb.jpg.df227c7fd835b398ce6d34441be4bf45.jpg

With a twist, of course - they are cut down much shorter than standard.

Went this route for a few reasons... it's a touch lighter overall (half the amount of steel needed compared with cycle wing brackets), the weight is sprung rather than unsprung, it was 'free' as I already had the bits and I like to recycle as much as poss, I reckon the aerodynamics will be tons better (both lift and drag), and it looks a bit like the car has lobster claws! :d (or totally ****)

IMAG1197.thumb.jpg.625a5732a6743b4be5e8d0b239ba3585.jpg

Airy... and very few planes which offer resistance to the direction of movement. The rear of standard cycle wings gives rise to both lift and drag, the underside creates lift. Not so here :t-up:

IMAG1196.thumb.jpg.cc8e405985ef0dbe97a1627a6feb661c.jpg

I can also mount the headlights on the same struts at a later date.

Some fitting details... mount goes through the wing rather than up from the bottom, I needed a bit more clearance for the track tyres on full lock, and didn't want to put the bracket on top as it looked rubbish.

IMAG1192.thumb.jpg.cb57ab1c31f9851ebea0b1eac29a5bd1.jpg

Bolts go straight into the brackets, holes are threaded.

IMAG1193.thumb.jpg.e7397a301be5b3a3ac583fdc03ff732f.jpg

Excited to finish it and lob it on the scales now! 385kg would mean I'm tempted to add a degree of timing at full chat, it made 212bhp like that so would be 550bhp/ton. I know chasing numbers is bad news, but that sounds better than 540 per ton :laugh:

Very impressive potential power to weight numbers!

There can’t be many cars anywhere that have those sort of figures achieved with such low weight.

It’s going to be a beast on track, especially with you at the wheel Adam :d

AdamR

Thanks Steve!

Well, I'd been 'fretting' all the way through this build, trying to come up with a way to end up with enough top speed without having to swap back to the original gearset, fit 15" wheels or some other such nonsense, then @Andrew pops up and send me this link: http://www.retro-ford.co.uk/shop/content/331-english-crown-wheel-and-pinion-cwp-33

:t-up: 

That means I'm back up to 127mph top speed, a much better match to the power figure, cheers Andrew! :d Just a few beer tokens to shell out and the odd spanner to waggle now :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Adge Cutler Dorset AO

Yet more "out of the box thinking" great stuff. That "unloved" appearance is sort of appealing. The ultimate Q car?

• Thanks 1

Ben (bunje)

is your splitter made fomr a desk from your office? i think it looks awsome the way it is. like retro barn find style

• Haha 1

AdamR

Almost! Plywood :t-up:

maurici
12 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Almost! Plywood :t-up:

The shape looks pretty familiar to me..

• Like 1

stephenh

Plywood sounds a bit heavy for this car. Why not polycarbonate? Carbon fibre would be good, but not quite in keeping with the aesthetics of this car.:d:d

AdamR
58 minutes ago, maurici said:

The shape looks pretty familiar to me..

Still had the template!

16 minutes ago, stephenh said:

Plywood sounds a bit heavy for this car. Why not polycarbonate? Carbon fibre would be good, but not quite in keeping with the aesthetics of this car.:d:d

I went back and forth with this quandary for a while :laugh: The polycarbonate I had was too flexy, I only had 2mm or 3mm available, and the shape is too complex to add some 90 degree folds around the edges. I would use carbon if I had it available though! The plywood one weighs under 2kg, which I'm 'ok' with considering the car would drive like **** without it, and it gives me the possibility of shaving a kilo or so in future if I need to :d

Meatibald Archpants

....speed holes ;)

Mighty Mart

how about two sheets of 2mm or 3mm poly stuck together?

loving the build thread and fresh thinking....as others have said, simply awesome...

Mart.

• Thanks 1

AdamR

Polyply :d I like it. Will investigate that in the future, cheers Mart.

stephenh

I'm really looking forward to seeing this "in the flesh" ! Of course, when it goes like stuff off a shovel we won't know whether it is down to the car, or the abilities of the driver. I'd offer to have a go in it to really test it, but I gave up my competition licence, so you will have to let Maurici have a go at driving/breaking it!

• Haha 1

AdamR

The drivers seat is small... very small :oops:

Managed a couple more hours today, front air dam is done and blocked off the nose cone.

IMAG1200.thumb.jpg.d1bf69436f5b38292eb465620eb7e3fe.jpg

Cut down the inner side panels and bent them over the tubing. Very satisfying and a lot easier to make half neat than I expected!

IMAG1201.thumb.jpg.21fef1d18702709122c5f6a15b99db3d.jpg

Dropped the rear part of the tub on just before I called it a day, it's going to need some serious attention from the jigsaw and grinder to 1) clear the tyres and 2) stop being a hideous parachute :laugh:

Tweaked the map to add that degree of timing back in, also smoothed it out a little and added a touch of fuel at a couple of sites in the 100% TPS column to flatten out the AFR curve. Will flash that onto the ECU tomorrow all bring well. Also wrote a second map for 95RON fuel, figured I might need that for visiting Spain, the Highlands, etc...

• Like 4

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Love the new bat wing front end!

As expected, some seriously impressive figures, I think you were possibly the only one in any doubt you’d hit the goals!