AdamR

The Lobster (88 SE Rebuild)

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO

Looking good Adam!

• Thanks 1

AdgeC

Following this with great interest. Some innovative thinking and intriguing engineering. Be interesting to see the finished weight of your "little gem". Please keep it coming Adam.

• Thanks 1

AdamR

Thanks :yes: Trying to think out the box throughout, I feel that a lot of kit cars have stuff in a certain way 'because it's always been like that',  so its fun to challenge convention!

• Like 6

AdamR

Slow progress today, lots of fiddly bits done.

Various lathe-y items for making engine mounts. Recycled an old chopped up mount @mark.anson gave me :d

IMAG0382.thumb.jpg.f271299ad1da1ee52a1bdc2dac3e266b.jpg

Making sleeves for the bushings. This was a bit boring (couldn't resist :laugh:).

IMAG0381.thumb.jpg.cce441d08b90c565aea4a574271eb855.jpg

Not a lot of extra tubes gone in, and kinda hard to see what's going on, but happy with how it's coming along! The top front engine mount will be tied into the cradle as the next job, then the bottom rear, and finally the other side direct to the chassis.

IMAG0383.thumb.jpg.fd97f5b61a4146f91c163896c282cd0e.jpg

IMAG0384.thumb.jpg.d09cfdd4d6ad378f8934af4d68ef2f42.jpg

Looking forward to doing a bit more and having some company from @maurici tomorrow :)

• Like 5

maurici

Well. I went yesterday to see the lobster in situ. Work done on it, is being really really detailed, and all is being well thought before executing it...

I have to say that I'm properly impressed, and a bit gealous. I would love to have the patience and the skills to do an scratch build to my very own specification rather than keep buying his cars... I already want to buy this one and is not yet build.

A lot of things will be done in a pretty unconventional way... (Adam hasn't revealed yet how much), and I'm pretty sure this car will become a TRUE inspiration for future builds.

Keep tuned to this topic, I'm sure you all will enjoy it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

AdamR

Thanks Maurici... no pressure then :laugh:

Had a busy week due to something unexpected, but worked on layout at the weekend with Maurici's help did a little bit of machining today.

This is one of the 'odd' item he mentions, and the work today involved an M2 tap (scary going into steel - I snapped one :blush: ) and a nifty little pull type slave cylinder. This will be mated to a hydraulic mountain bike brake lever and that will be mounted on my gear shift lever. That means only two pedals so I can fit them either side of the column for a better driving position (I left foot brake), and a small weight saving :d

The maths all works out nicely (slave is 11mm diameter piston with 15mm throw, lever 14mm and 10mm throw), I just need to select which exact lever to use now, there are various lever styles and hose outlet angles.

The pull rod was 13mm too short on the slave so had to make a new end nipple.

IMAG0390.thumb.jpg.96b2d85e4b93ded96bc43e0f72264245.jpg

IMAG0391.thumb.jpg.aa743454cbf8a3bc7bd581e358e02612.jpg

IMAG0392.thumb.jpg.500bb0a5737fb97bd9b47bdf28eff262.jpg

Also have another idea related to this, but needs a bit more investigating before I know it will definitely work, so staying under my hat for now ;)

Got a few bits for making front wishbones and also the shift lever thanks to @tkm_dave, those are down the priority list at the moment though!

• Like 4

Dave (OnliestSmeg) -  Manchester AO

You may need variability on the leverage actuation enabling adjustability for precision downchange rev activation.

wizzer
11 hours ago, AdamR said:

This will be mated to a hydraulic mountain bike brake lever and that will be mounted on my gear shift lever. That means only two pedals so I can fit them either side of the column for a better driving position (I left foot brake), and a small weight saving :d

Sounds like a good idea. I had a bec and it was rubbish using your foot to do the clutch much beter idea to use your hand . And once  your moving clutchless up shifts, and you can get a autoshift blipper thing for clutchless down shifts only need clutch when you stop then.

Tony

AdamR
9 hours ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

You may need variability on the leverage actuation enabling adjustability for precision downchange rev activation.

All in hand! Plus it has a slipper clutch so that will make things easier.

2 hours ago, wizzer said:

Sounds like a good idea. I had a bec and it was rubbish using your foot to do the clutch much beter idea to use your hand . And once  your moving clutchless up shifts, and you can get a autoshift blipper thing for clutchless down shifts only need clutch when you stop then.

Tony

Exactly. I figured the whole system is designed to be used by hand, it's only convention that makes us hook it up to a pedal...

Ben (bunje)

this is a great project youll have to be careful it doesn blow away in these storms we keep having lol. on the subject of lightness Adam i assume this is going to have lights and things. what are you doing for your chassis loom?

AdamR

Haha, thanks Ben. I'm going to build it non-road legal first and give it a shakedown, then add all the lights etc afterwards as I make a few tweaks (there will undoubtedly be some).

Chassis loom... not sure yet. All I really know is that I hate wiring / electronics so I don't want to think about that yet :laugh:

• Haha 1

CosKev

Ref the clutch lever on the gearstick,do you think it will be easy enough to grab to pull the clutch in if/when you spin the car around?

And even if you can grab it fast enough you only have one hand on the wheel then to try and regain control of the car :)

Presuming you know about bike engines /transmission not liking being turned backwards?:ph34r:

BCF
1 hour ago, CosKev said:

Ref the clutch lever on the gearstick,do you think it will be easy enough to grab to pull the clutch in if/when you spin the car around?

And even if you can grab it fast enough you only have one hand on the wheel then to try and regain control of the car :)

Presuming you know about bike engines /transmission not liking being turned backwards?:ph34r:

I don't think you know Adam very well... :laugh:

• Like 1

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO
7 minutes ago, BCF said:

I don't think you know Adam very well... :laugh:

... or have been in a car with him on track :d

• Like 1

maurici

Never seen him backwards or spinning in the last 3 years.