AdamR

The Lobster (88 SE Rebuild)

AdamR
14 hours ago, Archibald Meatpants said:

I hope thats not an accurate reflection of your corner weighting skills!

Sub 390kg you think? 

Will there be a "you must have eaten less than x pies to ride as passenger" style system?

It is - this is a dynamic corner weighting reading, the car has so much grip it will do a wheelie.

Yeah hopefully so!

Definitely. And they have to be vegetarian ones, none of this heavy meat business.

11 hours ago, Alex Gaskin said:

Would be bl**** impressive for it to be under 400kg and road going... Phil Newall's Speed Series winning Blade car, was only just under 400, and that was with a half cage and a lot of titanium and Magnesium, and was a fully stripped out Class-G car.

Yeah I knew about Barney's car... was sort of a target for this build to be honest. I think lights and stuff will add another 10kg but if I can get under 400 in road legal trim I'd consider that job done!

• Like 2

corsechris

The bare chassis I’m building probably weighs more than that :(

AdamR

Would be interesting to see a final weight for your car Chris actually!

Small update from today... made the purge bungs for the manifold, then realise I was nearly out of gas, so tacked the tank into shape.

Then thought I might as well start on welding (loose term :laugh:) the fuel pump adaptor in. Still got gas left! Made a bit of a mess of it to be honest, but it'll be fluid-tight and you can't see under here :blush:

IMAG1019.thumb.jpg.d2811fefc0723ea5a3119ea84ee824fb.jpg

corsechris

Looks good to me Adam. Looks like you've got that same thick-to-thin problem going on there as I've been fighting too. The last bit in the bottle seems to last & last ;)

Aluminium welding is a lot trickier than steel I find. I've been really struggling with some today. Last time I did it, it was OK. Today, same settings, same material, same filler rod and it's all over the bl**** shop. Unstable arc, poor cleaning, puddle won't form then it blows right through, filler won't merge with puddle - you name it, it went wrong. It's weird, it's behaving a bit like when I tried using a gas lens on aluminium. That went totally off the rails too. Went back to a plain ceramic cup and simple gas nozzle and all was well again. Gas lens on steel was lovely.....

I'm planning on weighing the parts of the car when I strip it for finishing so I've got a rough idea of the weight. I don't have corner weight scales so it'll have to be a rough guess unless/untilI can get it properly set up. No clue what to put for IVA weights yet so I'll need to figure something out.

wizzer

Looking good Adam .

I'm not a welder. but they weld at work, ally is a lot harder to do they take the shine of it with a scotch bright and just before you put the rod in the pool you pull the torch back a bit dip the rod then move forward, 

Tony 

• Like 2

AdamR

Weirdly Chris the steel TIG welding I've done so far has been totally crap, I'm happier doing aluminium at this stage! Know what you mean about different days being different - could it be something to do with ambient temps maybe? I know the behaviour on the fuel tank changed significantly once the whole thing had got hot.

Cheers for the reminder Tony! I think pulling the torch away as you dip the filler is important to try and stop the filler 'blobbing' up on the end before it even reaches the pool. Would explain the black crap I had to clean off (filler was oxidising mid-air). Cheers.

AdamR

Well, actually managed some decent TIG with filler on stainless this morning (small hole in primary #1 from tacking). Must have been the porridge for breakfast.

Also did some more hit and miss welding on the fuel tank - a few tack weld sites blew through when doing the long welds, which was a shame, and meant me having to fill them in. Badly :laugh: Grinder to the rescue...

IMAG1021.thumb.jpg.4e227cd75c7029e7671f8ebae2ded3ec.jpg

Sorted the mounting points for the fuel sender. Turned down some rivnuts to have countersunk heads...

IMAG1020.thumb.jpg.e65b874ded9c54401e4ab76a661550ad.jpg

So they would sit flush:

IMAG1023.thumb.jpg.990ca5632a166e9864f962294d7f72aa.jpg

Checking min and max:

IMAG1024.thumb.jpg.4945bf1df6bcb2f27cee24a27e6a139e.jpg

IMAG1025.thumb.jpg.6f1e0ff3904c6f98ad9c6c606053aff3.jpg

Checked fluid flow through the baffles with water, more than fast enough for filling up and ensuring the pump is fed.

Then decided to risk it for a biscuit with the 'low' argon bottle. Managed 2 of the primaries and still probably had enough left for another! As you said Chris, the end seems to last forever :laugh:

IMAG1028.thumb.jpg.88c139cab138ee0465b9d2ab7f2cc5d5.jpg

Still think I'm a bit light on amps (on 45 now, the material is 48 thou), but no crap on the back of the weld thanks to the back purge :t-up:

IMAG1027.thumb.jpg.74b665f3abd0211bc7d51231dc0b4c64.jpg

• Like 4

AdamR

Manifold now all welded up. I bought a new mask when getting a gas refill, oh my what a difference! Well worth spending a little more for a good one, visibility is tons better and the glass is light enough to see your work when not welding, meaning reduced flipping up and down.

IMAG1029.thumb.jpg.b2a79c3df792938759ba706e5e836d7d.jpg

The fit is still perfect, can't detect any distortion at all. I did run around 1cm I of weld at 12, 4, 8 O'clock before tackling the full way round though, so maybe this helped.

Afterwards I taped up the end of each of the primaries and filled them with water, for two reasons: 1) to check for leaks (revealed a tiny pinprick on #4), and 2) so I could weigh the water that came back out in order to check the volume of each primary.

The general rule is to build to a length but I'm fairly certain exhaust gases don't carry tape measures, so they'll be more concerned with the volume. Results were...

1: 544cc, 2: 545cc, 3: 540cc, 4: 532cc.

I knew 4 was a bit short, but I'd been slightly grumpy thinking it was way more than this, so that cheered me up!

What cheered me up even more is that there is enough wiggle room to extend #4 by 6mm right down at the collector (so it will be hidden), giving 7cc more volume and making it 539cc, and therefore all of them within ~1%. That'll do pig :d

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

I’ve seen commercialy made manifolds not a patch on that one. Superb work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nic (NICO) - Shropshire and Mid-Wales AO
1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I’ve seen commercialy made manifolds not a patch on that one. Superb work.

What he said. 

This is very impressive work and a very educational read. Keep it up Adam. 

• Thanks 1

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO

What they said!

You should be very proud of this Adam, impressive work. 

• Thanks 1

corsechris

Nice job Adam. Really glad my tales of doom came to nought too. Maybe I didn’t do enough tacking??

The rule of thumb of 1A per thou seems to work pretty well, 45A for 48 thou sounds pretty much spot on to me. Does somewhat depend on how fast you move too of course, so you may find you up that if you move quicker on simpler welds. I experimented on some scrap bits of tube and did it blind until I was happy with the result, then looked at the current. IIRC, almost exactly the same as your result, just a gnats below the ROT value.

• Like 1

WINGNUT

That manifold is stunning :yes:

I want one to put on the coffee table just to look at!

• Thanks 1

maurici

I've already spoken in private with Adam... but it must be made public.

I shouldn't be too surprised about Adam's skills. I may be one of the lucky persons that have continuouly seen and taken profit  from Adams work and untill now, most of it its been really good with amazing bright ideas and brilliant execution, but with this car!! oh my god.

EVERYTHING is oustanding. I'm not sure there is anyone else in the world that can afford saying:

"Manifold is too expensive, rather make it myself so I get to keep the tools for a little more" and they achieve this result at the first go EVER with a totally new technique of welding! Is absolutely awesome.

p.s. I've had to heavily edit the post because the "formal dictionary" of the club forum wasn't happy with my colection of excited words... :P

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Meatibald Archpants

Have you already put your offer in for when it’s finished Maurici? 

• Haha 2