Propposed MSA Rule Change for 2019

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

Any comments on proposed regulations should be addressed either through the specific consultation mailboxes detailed in the respective Action Sheets or through your Regional Association. which for us is http://www.anwcc.co.uk/

(S)11.2. Cars must compete in an event in a road legal condition with a valid MOT.

cheers

John

Sorry for my ignorance but will this really affect anyone because to run in road going against section S11 we have to have tax and therefore MOT. If you are in mod prod against S12 you don't and can have a msa log book/passport. Or have I got that completely wrong

original 

(S)11.2. Cars must compete in an event in a road legal condition 

proposed

(S)11.2. Cars must compete in an event in a road legal condition with a valid MOT.

just re-read the sections in the blue book 2018 and MSA don't mention tax or insurance.... I think the MSA are trying to define what a road going car is.

When I was competing 3 or 4 years ago, I always got asked to produce evidence of a current MOT certificate. That was in class D.

Before that, I had a current tax disc displayed, so it looks like it is just clarifying the rule which really applied before?

I can't see a problem with this, if you're in a road going class, your car should have MOT (if older than 3 years), Tax and insurance surly.  Other wise it's not road going in my eyes  

• Like 2

Tom

There is a full MOT or a daylight only MOT!!!!

I find this strange. 

You're not road legal without an MOT!

Unless the car is under 3 years old, but this rule still requires it to have an MOT.

I don't think that Road legal is a legal term, so shouldn't be used.  And who's making this up

• 2 weeks later...

The proposed change is actually....

(S)11.2. Cars must compete in an event in a road legal condition with a valid MOT.

NB John's paste of the text from the MSA website didn't bring with it the "strike through".

My view is that this is an inappropriate change as an MOTC is only a snapshot of compliance on the day of the MOTC and not the ongoing condition of the car. 

Local event regs have supplemented the MSA Regs with the addition of the need to have valid tax, insurance and motc for road going classes but the scrutineers also look for other "road legal" aspects of a car. We have seen competitors fail scrutineering with no Registration Plate on the front, bald tyres, tyres that extended beyond the wheel arches. All sorted out on the day but shows that some scrutineers did look further than only the paper work. When the requirement to display a tax disk was introduced a few years ago we were also told at some events that cars would be checked for valid tax via the DVLA website. 

So IMHO reducing the MSA regs to "with a valid MOTC" simply opens the Road Going classes to abuses from some competitors with unsporting changes to their cars after the MOT. I think the "road legal condition" is appropriate for road going classes as it includes tax, insurance and motc plus a load of other considerations that a scrutineer could use to ensure the class rules are not being abused.

• Like 1