Westfields in Australia

Shane2me

Hi Everyone!

My name is Shane, I live in Perth, Western Australia, and I have been casually looking at kit cars for a few years. Then, by accident, I came across the Mega S2000 brochure, and I have fallen in lust with this car.

I have owned a few Hondas over the years and I reckon their best engine in a lightweight sports car would be amazing fun.

I've read a few build threads on WSCC already and I'm so tempted to get started on a kit, but I want to do things properly so I'm here on a mission to gather as much information as I can before I take the plunge.

Firstly, I'd like to know if there are any other West Australians on here that have built a Mega S2000? Or any Westfield for that matter? I've never driven one or seen one up close before, and I'd love to meet some locals and chat about the whole process and hopefully have a look at your builds :d

Secondly, roughly how much extra did it cost to get your build "on the road"? I'm trying to set a realistic budget and I'm certain that by the time I factor in tools, parts, consumables, coffee, late nights, divorce settlements, etc that the "real" cost of completing the build will be quite high!

And is a "starter kit" better than a complete kit for someone who has never built a kit car before? I would have thought that the more parts you get supplied in your kit then the easier it would be, as you wouldn't spend so much time on ebay and auto wreckers websites looking for parts?

Any info that people are willing to share would be greatly appreciated, I'm really looking forward to hearing from people who have completed such a cool project, if I manage to start a build then I'm sure I will be relying on your help and inspiration over the journey.

Cheers!

• Like 1

welcome @Shane2me plenty of good info in the build threads section. You're right, the S2000 is a great engine,  though I'm biased. I've no experience of building kits in Oz, but there are members there and I'm pretty sure the first non factory S2000 Westie was made in Oz. 

Thanks Ian, I've been looking online to try and source an engine, and I think I've found the one. It will take a bit of work to get it up to scratch again but it should be good fun. I'll start a build thread if I get the engine, and ask lots of questions about how to get it going haha!

• Like 2

Thanks Gary :)

So I've been looking around trying to find an f20c engine, and the first one I found has now been sold. I've managed to track one down at an auto wreckers in Sydney, but I need to call them back on Monday to confirm some details. Hopefully this is the one :d

One wrecker said something interesting though... he asked if I had looked into using a K24A3 engine instead? Apparently this is the engine out of the Accord Euro and is much cheaper and easier to source, and produces more torque, and bolts on to the S2000's gearbox. Has anyone used one of these engines in a Westie before?

1 hour ago, Shane2me said:

Thanks Gary :)

So I've been looking around trying to find an f20c engine, and the first one I found has now been sold. I've managed to track one down at an auto wreckers in Sydney, but I need to call them back on Monday to confirm some details. Hopefully this is the one :d

One wrecker said something interesting though... he asked if I had looked into using a K24A3 engine instead? Apparently this is the engine out of the Accord Euro and is much cheaper and easier to source, and produces more torque, and bolts on to the S2000's gearbox. Has anyone used one of these engines in a Westie before?

Torque is great in a heavy car. The S2000 engine is a real gem and you need to experience it in a Westie! It's completely different that in the much heavier Honda car! I'd stick with your search for the F20C (ideally with a cable throttle body).

Admittedly, nothing more than a quick Google, but the K24A3 doesn’t look on paper to have much going for it as standard? Not that powerful at 190 hp , torque isn’t horrendous, it is a 2.4 after all, but nothing to right home about either at 164 lb.ft a red line of only just over 7000rpm, too.

If, and it’s a big if, it’s as bulky and heavy as the S2000 engine, then coupled with the S2000 gearbox, which ways as much as a small planet - it’s over forty odd kg!! The weight of the drive train would put you at an extreme disadvantage compared to the alternative engines we have over here, like the Ford Duratec with a Type 9 gearbox. Which with fairly little effort would give the same power for way less weight and bulk.

Thats with a standard K24A3. One thing Google did hint at, is that the engine might be used in some race series or other. So there might be plenty of tuning bits for it?

All in all though, it sounds like you could end up paying way more than you would for an F20C to get something to a similar power level, but it still might not have all the fantastic qualities that make the F20C such a great engine in a Westfield. 

• Like 2

As a recent passenger in both Dave and Ian's car it's frenetic when you get high revs in an overtake. It's fun even as a passenger.ive driven Ian's car and also an s2000. The s2000 is absolutely the right one for a Westfield. In a Honda it's a great engine but hamstrung by a heavy body and a rival such as a porsche boxster which I chose as it's just easier most of the time for overtaking and driving. In the s2000 when planning an overtake by the time you changed down 2 or 3 gears the moment was lost...... In a westie the weight makes it absolutely useable all the time. 

Don't compromise on such a key component. 

All of this from a v8 owner.....?:d

Good luck Jon 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And then there's that gearbox! :love: In my son's S2000 (now sold) you could snick up through the 'box keeping it on the torque peak almost without a break. Fabulous! I know you would still have that gearbox but spoiling a ship for a h'apeth of tar and all that...

Aforementioned son is now in Australia too but to all intents and purposes he might as well be here from your point of view as he's thousands of kilometres away in Sydney. He's trying to import his Z4M Coupé and is currently tied up in red tape as only Aussie Customs can do getting the car kosher for import. There's also an Audi RS4 sitting here waiting to be imported at a later date if he can.

• Like 1

I might be wrong... my memory might be playing tricks...     i’m Sure there was a company importing kits to oz ... I think after a while they started to produce there own cars..  Arrow cars?  ..

I just checked out there website...  yep... very Westfieldy!  

www.arrowsportscars.com.au.   

Thanks guys,

I would only consider another Honda engine if the f20c was completely unavailable. I think it will be a challenge to get a hold of, and I think sourcing parts will only get harder as it gets older, but they are a thing of beauty thats for sure!

And its nice to see so many people committed to building one properly! I'm planning a trip to the Westfield agent in Perth during the week and discuss options around building the kit. Hopefully they might have some handy hints about where to find an engine and gearbox if the wrecker in Sydney can't help me.

I have looked at Arrow's website, and I didn't think they looked as professional as Westfield. Their online community didn't appear to be as active either. And if I can get the Mega S2000 kit in Perth then I don't think anything else will do.

I hope your son manages to get his cars into Aus, customs can be a pain to deal with!

Hopefully I can update in a few weeks with positive news that I have found the engine and gearbox and then start saving for the kit!

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

So I went to visit the Westfield factory in Perth today, and I'm so glad that I did. Mark and Jez had some great info for me as I continue to gather information before starting the build.

Apparently using a dry sump system on the f20c engine helps everything to fit under the bonnet, as apparently things can get a bit close even under the bigger v8 bonnet.

Also, I gathered that the complete cost of the car was going to be about $60k AUD. Thats about $30-35k GBP. I was wondering what everyones experiences on here are with their total costs for building their Westfields? Thats a bit more expensive than I originally estimated, but I still think it would be good value.

How much did you guys end up spending to get your westfields on the road? I know its going to be different for each build, but I'd love to have an accurate estimation before starting.

Cheers,

Shane

• Like 2

Your name is Shane and you are (already) a Westfield addict! Welcome to the habit! :d W.A. is not only Western Australia but also Westfields Anonymous. 

I didn't build mine, to my eternal shame, because at the time I didn't have the space. It must be very satisfying.

Someone who knows will be along to help I am certain.

• Haha 1