Hi I'm new! ..and can you identify my car?

MartynF

Hi Martyn

yes the Locost is a generic name for Home made “low cost” sevens. They were originally based on the Ron Champion book. 

It could be home made or it could be an early version of a manufactured car as some of them (like early MKs) used the “book” as a basis for their commercial products. 

Doesn't look anything like a Dax to me. 

I wonder what those (plastic?) containers on the rear bulkhead in front of the axle are for? Never seen anything like that before. 

Fuel tank ? It feeds into a copper line and has a return ,so guessing it's fuel.

Or did you mean the ones on the rear bulkhead. Massive fuse boxes!:d

Those boxes are the holders for a pair of radio speakers! Haha! We’ve blanked off the radio, so will be getting rid of those!

21 minutes ago, MartynF said:

Those boxes are the holders for a pair of radio speakers! Haha! We’ve blanked off the radio, so will be getting rid of those!

If they are watertight, I'd be tempted to leave them in. They'd make nice little storage boxes for some waterproof clothes! You can never rely on the British weather!

As Chris said, Locost was a name coined by Ron Champion for the cars built by many 7 fans across the UK and the US too i believe. The one i built ended up in Germany! I managed to keep an age related plate on mine, but it was registered as a Locost on the V5. The car passed the SVA as it was called then first time! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MartynF said:

I wonder what rear axle it is? Cortina maybe?

If you remove the rear wheel and check the brakes its a good bet they are the same manufacturer as the axle. Not 100% as its a locost and built to the owners  ideas but Ford are a good bet. Remove a brake shoe and find a part number and google. Suspect owning it will be a voyage of discovery of the ingenuity of the builder. As mentioned earlier I would join the locost forum too as there many even have been some discussion of your car (I saw it on ebay from recommended searches) and the original builder may even have posted on there with questions?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the clues guys, nice forum you’ve got here.

So let’s say it’s a Locost, thanks!! I’m hoping to get GBS to do a pre IVA check. Anyone used them or have another recommendation for a IVA report? GBS want £110 for a report telling me exactly what is needed.

not cheap getting it registered eh! £450 plus £300.

1 minute ago, MartynF said:

not cheap getting it registered eh! £450 plus £300.

Nope, like I said earlier factor in a grand for IVA!

Hard to say from pics, but it needs lights, indicators and repeaters sorting, harness mount positions fixed, lots of radii checked, emissions checked, reverse light, dash lights probably, check wiring is secure and covered, check brake pipes for clearance and securely fixed, fuel lines, bonnet catches, windscreen might need changing and more I can’t spot.

It is all doable though :t-up: