Very stupid question about MPG .....

Stevemarsh

Firstly sorry if this is a daft question, I’m not mechanical In any shape or form. My car is a 2013 factory built car and the owner before me, does that mean the engine was new? Or could still be from another car? It’s a Black top Zetec. 

Other question, I assume when this zetec engine is in a focus or Mondio (2.0 Zetec) the mpg may have been around 35-40mpg. 

How come with a Westfield which must be much much lighter is the mpg so much less? I recon out of about £28 of fuel I’m getting about 150 Miles, which I’m happy enough with and not concerned about the amount of miles more of the interest why a lighter car is not better In this respect? 

Thanks in advance !

It’s about smiles per mile!

You don’t get many driving a Mondeo IMO! Nothing against Mondeo’s!!

Is it carbs or injection?

And are you driving it like a Mondeo or like a Westfield? 

I'm running a zetec on carbs, the wife today said this drinks fuel. I said don't go off the gauge it's an indication, fuel gauge in my westy isn't accurate like my tin top. I reckon on a run I get around 34mpg maybe a midge more, thats if I'm steady heading on a motorway and if say around mid 20s round town.

The aerodynamics of these are as good as a brick, plus opening them up tends to happen more due to the nature of the beast I'd say.

First thing to remember is that while the engine may be from a Mondeo or Focus, it will not have the same induction, exhaust or ECU as the Ford original. 

So you are comparing apples to pears!

Our cars tend to use after market systems that trade power for economy. 

If you get 30mpg you are doing well, but honestly I couldn’t give a  flying fart what mpg mine does!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Agreed! Not concerned about mpg, just more interested. :-) best fun in a car ever! 

yep depends on how its mapped too, more fuel = more powerz! Swear you can actually see my fuel gauge moving on a early Sunday morning.  

• Thanks 1

If your fuel gauge isn’t in a race with the speedo to see which one gets to the end first, you’re driving it wrong. :cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A big factor is the fact our cars typically have the drag of a small garden shed. That doesn’t do anything good for mpg.  Used to get low 20s out of the Xflow, when I put a Zetec in it went up to an average closer to 30. Recent trip to South Wales saw 34.

carbs will be very inefficient compared to EFI, typical aftermarket EFI will be inefficient compared to an optimised for economy OEM setup.

And of course...the right foot factor as well.

Omex throttle bodies ..   2.0 blacktop 25 mpg is about what I get at traffic speeds.    It did 35 mpg going to and back from Blyton, but that was on a trailer being towed by an old Campervan.   AtBlyton track day 155 miles = 75 litres = single figure mpg.    

Steve

Your car will be fuel injection and would be a new engine. If you drive it like a Mondeo and potter at 40 to 50 you should get great mpg. However the sound of the engine and lure of the throttle will make you drive harder than your Mondeo ever would, unless it was salesman owned......

I get better mpg from my v8 when I put it on a trailer and tow it with something else :d

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I seem to be getting about 25mpg so far, 2.0 pinto on weber 40s, enjoying the performance though! suspect I could do about 25% better if I went a bit more steady

I was also wondering why the fuel consumption was so tragically low. As I'm a bit OCD about these things, I log my fuel consumption on fuelly.com (it also allows me to work out how the car is driven when either of my two sons use it....)

Here's the trace of the last ten fill-ups - worst (twice) was 22mpg (they were enjoyable days!) and the best was just under 35mpg. Average since I got the car is about 26mpg

EDIT - I'm not actually the slightest bit bothered what mpg it gets, I just like to know

Fuelly trace.JPG

Yours may be different to mine but getting fuel in the car can be a challenge with a sensitive fuel gun.  Sometimes i fill it up and I can see it is full, others it’s taken ages and I give up.  I bet there’s 1/2 a gallon or more difference between fill ups which on such a small tank is going to make big differences to MPG.  If I think i’ve Done well on one tank the next is always really bad.    A winter project is to try and improve my fuel rough indicator gauge..   over full is full. 1/3rd tank is about empty ish.   If I hear the tick tick pump go mental in a corner  I know i’m Getting close to having just the  2l in the external swirl pot. Also planning to add a second tube off the top of the tank to the filler to vent air.   Parking the car leaning sideways helps to.. 

Get yourself an ecoboost if economy is a priority. I could easily get over 40mpg on a steady run:d