New Westfield has arrived!

Robertf

So the new Westfield has arrived, and I thought I would share some first impressions...

Its been about 20 years since I drove a Westfield, so I was really looking forward to getting back in the driving seat.  The car arrived Monday evening, and once off the trailer an inspection revealed as I had thought it seems in very nice condition, though with a fair few marks here and there just as you would expect of a 20 year old car.

Its an SE Wide, with a 2.0 Pinto and twin Weber 40s.  Has a 5 speed gearbox, cycle wings, wolfrace wheels, proper seats and willans harnesses.  It came with full wet weather gear too.

First impressions were of just how small it was. My driveway is 12 and a half feet wide and it fits on there alongside my daily driver Abarth 500.

Got out for a good few drives over the following days, given the perfect weather.  Car feels pretty well sorted, has decent ground clearance which is helpful on our 3rd world style country roads,and stops and steers very well, though an unservoed brake pedal does take a bit oif getting used to!  The engine runs really nicely, good even tickover, though its a bit low I think at around 700rpm on idle.  Gearbox is OK, though change into first and reverse is a bit clunky - not a big problem as I have found 2nd to be easier to start the car with, first being really very low. Will have to have a look at the clutch might just want a small cable adjustment.

Already done a bit of tinkering - my 13 year old son helped me straighten the mountney wheel, and we took the opportunity to tidy up the dash behind the wheel with a little collar to finish the hole where the column comes through (made out of the front of a PTFE tape reel sprayed black!) and replaced the wheel to boss bolts with some shiny aircraft fixings my brother gave me ages ago.  Small project but looks great!

Next projects for us are to remove the spare wheel for the neater rear end look, tidy up the harnesses a bit and I am also thinking of having a white stripe put on the car from front to back.  Bit boy racerish I know but I think it will liven up a fairly conservative looking car, and if done in vinyl I can always remove it in the future.

Having lots of fun with the car already, looking forward to plenty more - here are a few pictures...

BlWes4s.jpg

BlWes5s.jpg

BlWes1s.jpg

BlWes2s.jpg

BlWes3s.jpg

• Like 1

:ww: from Scarborough.

Nice looking car.

You are right, looks so tiny next to an already tiny Fiat.

:ww: from sunny Somerset. Car looks smart, enjoy.

:ww: Rob.  The gearbox is probably a Ford type9 and we all agree 1st.  is too short. Luckily this box is well catered for, mods to change  the ratio are easily found. Or you could just save spending cash a use 2nd gear to start off.

Looks lovely! I particularly like the way you have started tinkering straight away and kept the tinkering small scale - for now... 

Have fun! 

Haha yes tinkering is a new hobby for now, so took the opportunity in the better weather to take the rear wheel off!  To do this I cut the wheel holder hoop a bit shorter and slid it back in its mountings so the plate is flush.  Prefered to do it this way as I may want to reinstate the wheel in the future and this way leaves that open as a possibility.