The Mini Diet/Track Car Thread

KugaWestie

20 hours ago, BCF said:

Looks like the beemer has had a mini pooper! :d

:laugh:

I got to work at about 9am, and was unloaded by 9.15.

By 10.45 the spongy brake pedal was a lot better, so happy with that now.

I spent the next couple of hours chasing an electrical gremlin around my trailer wiring loom. This is now fixed so another result.

I then spent the afternoon stripping out the front seats, carpets, sound deadening, seat belts, plastic trims/heater ducts etc. I then fitted the new seats on runners and then the new harnesses.

Passenger side was first

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2552.JPG

• Like 2

I ended up using the original rear seat belt top mounts for the top harness fixing point

Total weight saving is now at 75.45kg

I don't think there is much more to be had now

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did the WSCC private track day organised by @Tom (T3OMF) - Cotswolds AO at Llandow on Friday with the Mini, and have to say thoroughly enjoyed it. The new front brakes were absolutely spot on, and the weight saving definitely helped.

I found a bit more to save today as well, I removed the under bonnet sound deadening as well as the cabin pollen filter, netting me a further 1.1kg.

Total saving now 76.55kg

• Like 3

During the afternoon at Llandow I got black flagged. When I came in they told me "There's nothing the matter with your driving :d, but your exhaust tailpipe is hanging off"

So off I trotted back to the paddock and promptly removed the two standard "beer can" tailpipes, and enjoyed the rest of the day.

But I decided after the trackday that it looked a bit sad

IMG_2572.JPG

So whilst sat having a beer back at the campsite, I took a punt on an "EBay cheapie" exhaust system. I had been keeping my eye on them for a few weeks anyway.

It arrived today, and although the box was pretty battered, I was delighted to see it was a Direnza System, making it even more of a bargain

IMG_2589.thumb.JPG.c2a90936adeecca7b27aaf2b9ac80461.JPG

I had already stripped the existing system a couple of days ago, so it didn't take me long to fit it tonight

IMG_2593.thumb.JPG.8afa9fcff55e7f402ddc68d95f91088b.JPG

IMG_2594.thumb.JPG.e8aa41826bfbaa056632510c37485419.JPG

It has a resonator just behind the cat at the front of the system, so hopefully it will still be quiet enough to stay under noise levels on track ???

The negative is it has added 3.7kg to the car. Hopefully it will be a bit more free flowing though and therefore release a couple more ponies to offset the weight gain!

Total weight saving now is 72.85kg

• Like 2