The Mini Diet/Track Car Thread

KugaWestie

As some of you will know, life after the Westfield for me is in the guise of a dedicated cheap track car, which is a 2002 Mini Cooper S.

I bought it a few weeks ago. It has already been modified with a reducer pulley on the blower, an uprated air intake system and an alleged tweak on the Ecu. The guy I bought it from reckoned it is running 210bhp. I don't think it it is quite that high, but no doubt will find out at some point.

I took it to the speed series celebration at Shelsey and discovered a seized rear brake caliper, so I replaced the rear calipers, discs and pads with new.

IMG_2232.PNG.ffb0ad65b2b74b03a532fbd1caa61991.PNG

I took it to Blyton and totally shagged the front brakes. It is an R53 model, and the front brakes are a known problem for track use. I thought I would test this known problem to see if it is true, and can confirm it is :laugh:. I went from a progressively softening pedal to melted caliper seals and no pedal at all. The recommended upgrade is the facelifted R56 discs and calipers, which I now have in stock ready to fit.

Blyton was a real test of the car for me. If I didn't enjoy it on track, it was destined for sale. If I liked it, it would be a keeper and a little project. 

You all know I like a project, so it's a keeper.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KugaWestie said:

so it's a keeper.

Was never in doubt mate :d

• Like 1

So as I am keeping it and it is a dedicated track car, it's time to take some weight out of it.

I started with the radio, 1.45kg

IMG_2316.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tonight I did a well documented exhaust mod. 

The Mini has two boxes at the rear, one is a resonator box and the other is a silencer. The "One Ball Mod" is basically  the removal of the resonator box, a bit of pipe rerouting and welding. 

IMG_2358.thumb.JPG.04c0e977583e803d0ee799ac4c2cabd0.JPG

The result is a slightly deeper exhaust note and more pops and bangs.

But most importantly, a weight saving of 8.8kg.

10.25kg saved so far

• Like 2

I hope the interior is next!! Watching with interest. Weirdly, I can't wait for my next go....

On another note, just seen my signature. Did I write that, or has some tricky nefarious being been at my account???

• Haha 2

Just now, BCF said:

I hope the interior is next!! Watching with interest. Weirdly, I can't wait for my next go....

Front brakes next

Then it's the interior

I need my go in the ****ter first before you get another go :laugh:

• Like 1

Hope you enjoy it. I loved my Citroen zx 16v track car. I got it down to 1050kg with half cage.

It was almost totally stripped out. However it kept the heater and hrw.  These are great for damp mornings and road legal usability.

When you strip the interior there is lots more condensation from bare steel so these are invaluable. 

I removed the headliner which obviously lost weight but did mean lots of condensation which collects in voids and then drenched you when you first apply the brake. You have been warned:d

Lighter weight means less wear on brakes and suspension so you should be able to save money and enjoy less brake fade now?

I didn't use expensive brakes just normal stuff but I fitted front spoiler  hoses to duct air to the brakes

Lots of wheels are useful too. Are you going to try slicks ? I loved them !

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KugaWestie said:

Front brakes next

Then it's the interior

I need my go in the ****ter first before you get another go :laugh:

You're welcome in my ****ter anytime mate. When's the next trackday? Fancy Bedford?

9 hours ago, BCF said:

On another note, just seen my signature. Did I write that, or has some tricky nefarious being been at my account???

Haha wasn’t me so I reckon you did it yourself whilst unde the influence :d

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BCF said:

You're welcome in my ****ter anytime mate. 

:o

10 hours ago, BCF said:

You're welcome in my ****ter anytime mate. When's the next trackday? Fancy Bedford?

Ooh err :getmecoat:

Next one for me is the Llandow job organised by @Tom (T3OMF) - Cotswolds AO in September. If the car survives that I may look at doing something in October

• Like 2

I had a spare hour at lunchtime today and the rain had stopped. So rather than start the brakes upgrade and get soaked doing it, I decided to take some more weight out.

I removed rear seats, boot carpet, boot edge trim, parcel shelf, rear speakers, rear seat belts and brackets, seat brackets, rear pillar trims. 

2AC7C0B5-6718-43A8-9CEB-DB9B8D578EA1.thumb.jpeg.fd2269512607dd0d73d3d56d17515f64.jpeg

BD09F489-AF29-4C26-B9FF-743B1ABB6327.thumb.jpeg.34e4a448af171733046c4ab78c300cb7.jpeg

BE0351E0-9AFA-4E1C-94A1-F5AD4B256599.thumb.jpeg.0c5a8c2f8d3f8094aa908552fcf4f08d.jpeg

That lot totted up to 33kg.

Running total is now 43.25kg

• Like 4

The rain stopped, so I stripped the front brakes off (I done them in at Blyton)

I think the technical term for them is Fubarred :laugh:

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2365.JPG

IMG_2366.JPG

• Haha 1

New larger disc, uprated caliper carrier and new brake line fitted to passenger side.

IMG_2367.thumb.JPG.c7ca07fa9b3377db81c20afbc00d992e.JPG

I am waiting for pads to arrive so can't do much more.

On the drivers side I need to change the inner CV joint and boot, that's next

• Like 1