roadholding aids

frank1957

Hi everyone, new to the Westfield fraternity, I have an old (1997) SE8 which I race currently has a John Eales 4.8 running down draught throttle bodies sequential gearbox and lots of other goodies my question is really does anybody have any thoughts/experiences on rear wings, diffusers and the like as the car is plenty quick but bites if you are to heavy footed.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Frank,

Type "Flymo" into the search box for some ideas on Aero.

Make sure what ever you do is balanced. 

I thought this kind of stuff only works at much higher speeds at which point the biting is less of an issue. (Although not drove a V8 one)

I'd be thinking tyres allignment and suspension set up my self 

Edit

Just re read OP and noticed it says you race it. What I had said was not really relevant thought it was a road car 

This was Simon B's sprint car. Might be worth a look at what he did.......

I would also say alignment and suspension setup first, get the basics right before aero. No car should 'bite' if heavy footed, it should gradually and smoothly transition between grip and slip (both under and oversteer).

Simon's car is now with Steve Thorne, the Thames Valley joint AO. Simon said it made a huge difference to the level of grip post wing fitting. may be worth speaking to Steve.

Luke.

Shock tuning, tire choice and alignment is 90% of it. The aero stuff only fine tunes these things and can't make up for an otherwise bad set up.

dave